Dried Strawberry

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Was messing today and tried drying strawberries...

WOW - what an intense flavour! If you have a dehydrator, give it a go when they get cheap or you get a garden glut!

509927152_755d760af2.jpg

Red

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
This looks really good Red, is there enough for you to preserve somewhere for later or are they all in your belly already ? :D

Gee, it reminds me I have to get a dehydrator. I'll need one since my last attempt at drying something in the oven almost started a fire in my kitchen :eek:

Cheers,

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fred. the lan was to leave them in my bimbling rucksack as I do with a bag of jerky

All gone though :eek:

They really are gooood :D

Red

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Yep, never plan ahead when it comes to sweets :tapedshut :rolleyes:

Were the strawberries already sweet previous to their drying ?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah but nowehere near as much - I guess it concentrates the flavour ? Good though.

I've got a mass of tayberries and blackberries fruiting right now - may have to try fruit leathers from them!

Red

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Yep, that's pretty much the effect.

I assume that even berries that are not quite completely ripe or a bit bitter will give a nice result (especialy in fruit leathers).

Tought about coating them in yogurt ?

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Actualy no, as I am not sure of the process that is to be used :confused: My only concern comes with the fact that you'd hate to use already dried fruit, then coat them, and finaly another dehydration. It's in that final step that I'm not sure of. The required time would probably not be as long as the time required to dehydrate the fruit themselves.

Although, sweet fruits and yogurt, one cannot go wrong ;)

I'll look deeper into that lovely grub issue :D

-----------------------------------

Looked into yogurt dehydration :
The result of dehydrated yogurt is a taffy-like substance. It can either be made into pure yogurt leathers (which needs to be cut in strips of approx 1 inch in width then re-dried for short period to seal the ends before storage) or it can be used in mixed fruit-yogurt leathers.

ferrol

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2006
in my head
yer its one of those tunes that kinda sticks in yer head.

You'll never look at a mango again without singing under your breath...

Gonna pick up some Strawberries tonight.. can't wait!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Weird - bought some kiwi today (and a pineapple) for that very purpose

Oh and 5lbs of prime beef for jerky of course (down to my last in my bimble bag)

Red

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Now that we are now all truly hooked on this drying, can someone suggest the best dehydrator for jerky, strawberries etc.?:D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fred,

My only advice? Don't spend too much. Im wary of gadgets in the kitchen - I use knives, graters seives and pans for most things. I was unsure but, without having a range anymore, jerky was a silly price in oven energy. I looked at making one with a lightbulb - but by the time you factor the materials in and the lack of a fan, it was cheaper to buy

Mine cost £25 from Tchibo (a 5 tray model), There are loads around at no more than £30 for that size (about 150w is fine). You can spend a lot more for fancy ones but this will do me for now. When I get my range back I'll revert to using the cool oven and wire racks, but this is great for experimenting (and jerky which I have down fairly well if you like spicy)

Red

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Many thanks for the comments Red. Seems like a great way to take advantage of seasonal fruits etc. Never tried drying like this before but we both eat a lot of dried fruit in our house so it looks worth a try.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE