Dried Strawberry

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah, fun too. I used to make jerky in the oven, but I've got into a lot more fruit and such since buying this thing. The trick is, as you say, to dry seasonal stuff. It certainly in the plan to work on my surplus chillis this year as an alternative to pickling or oil preserving

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just to show I listen:D

Kiwi and pineapple are on the go....

515944626_f2688071e0.jpg

Beef is marinading for about 5lbs of jerky so the poor dehydrator is going to get a good workout this weekend!

Red

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Apple rings are another goody. Peel, remove centre with coring device (from any kitchen shop), cut into thin rings, sprinkle half with powdered cinnamon and the other with powdered cloves, dry for approx 5 hours. ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Apple rings are another goody. Peel, remove centre with coring device (from any kitchen shop), cut into thin rings, sprinkle half with powdered cinnamon and the other with powdered cloves, dry for approx 5 hours. ;)

Apple rings are great! Not tried the cloves though - sounds good!

I enjoyed both the pineapple and the kiwi! may have to try a dried fruit salad some time :)

518032510_3b9962f338.jpg

Red

Gailainne

Life Member
I tried banana, first time (relative newbie here started last week) they worked out fine.

I tried another batch but added citric acid, lemon juice and cranberry juice (dont ask it was in the fridge), both turned out very acidic, not nice, however that may be due to the fact they were on overnight :eek: at least 12 hours.

Whats the optimum time for banana ?

I think I need to add a timer to my set-up.

I have recently planted 10 fruit trees in my garden, they are Marionettes, basically fruit from the main trunk and grow to about 8 ft. A damson, a gage, 2 plums, 2 apples, 2 pears and 2 cherries. Obviously I will not be able to eat all that lot :D, so thats where the drying comes in to play.

Anyway practise makes perfect, although that second batch is going in the bin, yeagh.

Red I havent even thought about jerky, although there are a few nice recipes around, I may try it.

Stephen

Gailainne

Life Member
twisted firestarter

Cheers for that, I kinda figured I'd overdone them a touch :eek:.

Red

I had read that one, (bit spicey for me mate), the foil seems like a good idea, or grease proof paper.

I bought a peeler for any fruit I'm going to dehydrate, the peel isnt pleasant, dried, not to me anyway, I also bought some tasters, cinnamon, cloves and mixed spice.

Should make things interesting.

I have said before and I shall say again, you lot are the biz, willing to share, give advice, gentlely incourage.

:You_Rock_

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE