Dried food pack recommendations

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
...To bulk out my supplies for the Arctic trip, gone through the last of my rat packs!
Who do you Cats use ?
Any advice would be great.
Cheers.
:)Chris.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My fave supermarket foods for the pack;

1;Malt loaf ( lots of complex carbs and 500 cal a loaf)
2; Lots of dried pasta meals
3; Dried onion, powdered down for bulking out foods that I've put too much water in.
4; Instant porridge
5; Lots of nuts
6; Dried fruit
7; Potato cakes-dense and packable
8;Custard powder and cinnamon waffles from Aldi
9; Mattesons sausage
10; Dried whole milk from asian supermarket
11; Protein shakes
!2; Cous-cous
13;Chocolate bars with nuts/fruit
14; Salami's

Looking forward to seeing what else I can cram in the goodie bag that will up the calories.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Vesta Beef Rissoto £1 a pop, fills your belly, go exotic and try the Curry or Chow Mein. Not great but as good as the dried meals costing three times more.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Grab a £30 dehydrator Chris and make your own buddy

I'm still living off the meals Leezo was selling a while a go, once they've gone though I'm onto my own recipes. Loads of good recipes on the web and the basics are easy to suss out, no dairy, , rinse off fat, chop stuff small etc etc

The Pour & Store bags from the bargain shops make cracking bags for carrying and eating out of.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Cheers Rik, cheers Rich,good ideas fellas!
I think all of these meals have 'use by dates gsfgaz, I am usualy well past them on mine tho! Lol!
Chris.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Do the rat pack meals have a best before date on them ...

I think all of these meals have 'use by dates gsfgaz, I am usualy well past them on mine tho! Lol!
Chris.
I think the date printed on rat-packs is the packing date - IIRC, the 'use by date' is 10 years after that, provided they've been stored correctly (i.e. somewhere cool - not in an overheated warehouse in the desert somewhere)

madgaz

Forager
Sep 21, 2011
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Do the rat pack meals have a best before date on them , or are they awright , as long as you keep them sealed ...
Usually the have a manufacture date on and are then reputed to be good for 10 years after that. I've eaten some 8 years after manufacture and apart from 3 weeks in hospital, 2 weeks squits and a horrible rash I was fine ;) Joking of course...I was fine :)

Posted by madgaz using his techy-touchscreen-tapatalk- telephone app.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Mix some porridge oats with dried fruit, powdered milk and powdered protein. Mmm, disgusting but light and cheap.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Mix some porridge oats with dried fruit, powdered milk and powdered protein. Mmm, disgusting but light and cheap.
I dont use the whey protein, so result is not quite instant thicken and a short simmer is required or a pot cosy wile you make a brew. Adding crystallised ginger to the fruit mix makes it interesting, dried banana is pants though! Catering chocolate drops (mixed with cranberries nom, nom) - costco had a bucket of reasonaly high cocoa ones, gave a mix that even "I dont like porridge" kids will eat!

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Vesta Beef Rissoto £1 a pop, fills your belly, go exotic and try the Curry or Chow Mein. Not great but as good as the dried meals costing three times more.

I'm a big fan of Vesta paella. (Also from Poundland ect ) I Can't imagine trying trying to rustle up a proper paella in the woods.

Would be pretty cool on a beach though now I think about it !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE