Dressing Down!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Perci117

Jan 21, 2021
Yorkshire
So, for years I've been under the impression that more layers in ya kip system is better.
How wrong was I!

Had a bit of a hammock camp in the snow recently, normal set up. Hennesy deluxe DD under quilt and a carinthia defence 4.

Used this system around a dozen times with success. But at around 5°c my bottom gets a little chilly and takes ages to warm up.

So a buddy suggested dressing down. Merino base layer n socks.
What a difference, was around the -1° mark and I was sweating.
Even after a wee break and climbed back in. Toasty again in no time.

Definitely changed my mind.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210124-100942_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210124-100942_WhatsApp.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's the risk that more layers of clothing compress the more efficient insulation in the sleeping bag. I find it warmer sleeping in just my underwear which might be long johns and base layer.

I once forgot my sleeping bag when staying in a static caravan one very cold late October. I tried sleeping in my down me light line and an extra fleece over the top. I was freezing. Then the fleece fell off and i was too tired and cold to put it back. I then fell asleep as I had warmed up just enough to sleep.

Now the only time I'll wear extra layers is under my down quilt as it's an xl size for my height but a us brand so too big around the girth. I can loosen it up so any clothing I want can fit under without air gaps or compression of the 900 or 950fp down.

Reactions: Perci117

Perci117

Jan 21, 2021
Yorkshire
What did you used to wear before you got the merino base layer?
Issued stuff mate.

Now I usually wear ice breakers. Phenomenal,
There's the risk that more layers of clothing compress the more efficient insulation in the sleeping bag. I find it warmer sleeping in just my underwear which might be long johns and base layer.

I once forgot my sleeping bag when staying in a static caravan one very cold late October. I tried sleeping in my down me light line and an extra fleece over the top. I was freezing. Then the fleece fell off and i was too tired and cold to put it back. I then fell asleep as I had warmed up just enough to sleep.

Now the only time I'll wear extra layers is under my down quilt as it's an xl size for my height but a us brand so too big around the girth. I can loosen it up so any clothing I want can fit under without air gaps or compression of the 900 or 950fp down.
1st time doing it, definitely learn from it tho.

Reactions: MrEd

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Was taught many years ago by a chap at glenmore lodge to never sleep with coats or much on. Usually a hat, socks, Helly Hansen top/t shirt and ronhills and untied trainers just in case you need to get out of the sleeping bag. Always worked.

Reactions: Winnet and Perci117

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
If one goes to the bag with all clothes on straight from the cold there is quite a lot of warming up to do in the clothes themselves. If taken down to base layer only the inner liner of the bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE