Dressing a deer.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Thats a good tutorial. Only thing I would add is;
(a) Some people tie off the bung/anus tube before pulling through - same with food pipe (I can't spell osophicus) up front end - to stop mess spilling out.
(b) If its a long drag home I open up as little as possible i.e. I don't split breastbone or back legs until I am in a clean environment.This helps keep the cavity cleaner.

Just my opinion, otherwise its perfect. You can see why my little opinel # 7 is so valued.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Have to be honest, the deer I have claimed (I'm not saying any more) I always draw on the spot and then take home. Not quite sure what the fuss is all about...Gives the foxes something to eat :D

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
I always gralloch there and then. This is why I always have a folding spade on me when I'm out stalking. Either in my car if I'm not to far away when woodland stalking or in my backpack when on the hill.
I find that this helps the meat cool quicker and stops any tainting of the meat.
Great wee demonstration though.

Full Moon Man

Aug 28, 2007
1st September Deer hunting started over here , alot of the less well informend were out in numbers and last week end I went out to spot runs for November and have to say there are a lot of people who could do with buying this dvd and rewinding and learning . From wrong round to poor shooting. Two small year olds badly shot and one young stag carring a treatable neck wound. Called the Ranger and asked him to start driving the runs for the next couple of weeks and shame some of the idiots. Really pisses me off , every one of this muppets thinks he is Carlos Hancock and that they can shoot out to 3/4's of a mile and all that crap. Im going to buy the DVD and hold a gun club meeting to show it . Good Work on locating it lad.

Joni

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I tend to remove the milk sac by cutting around as opposed to going straight through the centre as it is much less 'messy' I would also opt to open the rib cage for both quicker cooling and safety (dont like the idea of feeling my way around with a blade out of clear sight). If the Oesophegus is tied off high up the neck everything can be removed essentially as a sealed vessel. Tying off the Oesophegus can be tricky with slippery hands/gloves so as opposed to knotting I sometimes double over and tie off with butchers twine and a surgeon knot followed by an overhand which makes the job much easier. As has already been mentioned, it all depends on your situation. Your predominant concern is contamination, so a long drag or carry may call for a more conservative effort in the short term with some finishing off when in a more suitable environment. A big problem with a carcass intended for the meat trade is blood tainting to the fat (although there is a minimal amount with venison, tending to be concentrated around the kidneys) this is purely cosmetic but if conditions permit, a suspended gralloch should be considered which will greatly reduce the liklihood of ground contamination and give Mr. Butcher little excuse to knock you on price :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE