Dremel's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
God bless the Dremel! All Hail the Dremel!

I find mine pretty much essential.
Get one of the mains powered ones - the battery ones aren't that good.
You can buy Dremel clones at good prices and I'm sure they work just as well (a friend has a non-Dremel and it seems to have lasted and done everything my actual-Dremel does).
It's good for hobby/craft/light activities. If you were to use it for a heavy/major DIY project then it may not be the right tool.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
How on earth did you do that matey ?

I should have explained myself better there is a button on the dremel that locks the chuck in place so you have resistance when you tighten it to fit the tools - that button seems to be made of plastic and it seems to be very easy to strip the button so it becomes useless - I haven't opened one up yet to see if I can fix it - that'll be a summer job as the workshops freezing

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
I know this is a really old thread but I seem to have done exactly as the person above. I have opened it up to see that it's fixable however it seems to be a common occurrence looking online.

So has anyone found a permanent solution to this? Or have a just been careless in the first place to strip the lock button?

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
nope...

gave up on them

hand tools and time is the way I went

found zen while I was at it...

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have one I bought a few years ago kind of on a whim.
Never used it. My wife sometimes uses one for jewellery making.
The Hitachi Occillating Multi tool however has been invaluable at work and I use it a lot.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I bought an aldi one on impulse years ago. Came with the flexible shaft and a load of other stuff.
Only ever use it for small crafting tasks but bloody hell it's useful when you need it.

Reactions: TeeDee and Robbi

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I have one I bought a few years ago kind of on a whim.
Never used it. My wife sometimes uses one for jewellery making.
The Hitachi Occillating Multi tool however has been invaluable at work and I use it a lot.

I'm the opposite, can't for the life of me find a use for the multi tool I equally impulse purchased

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I know this is a really old thread but I seem to have done exactly as the person above. I have opened it up to see that it's fixable however it seems to be a common occurrence looking online.

So has anyone found a permanent solution to this? Or have a just been careless in the first place to strip the lock button?

I have one of the original models. It must be 20 years old now, and with a strip down and clean it’s working well. On mine the chuck lock got sticky, and the mains cable broke its outer insulation. That was because the strain relief cable grip/sleeve was actually a little too long for the OE tool case and bent the (by now old) cable too acutely. So I cut the cable off and re-terminated it in a foreshortened grip/sleeve. While I was in there I cleaned the motor commutator and re-tensioned the brush springs, along with cleaning out and re-greasing the chuck lock button/spring.
It now works well, and I use it for a myriad of little/fine jobs, especially for shaping/polishing horn nocks and the like.

I wouldn’t be without one. My missus has one for her silversmithing too, but she also uses hers for diamond drilling mounting holes in her glasswork - see ‘heleneshobbies’ :)

Cheers, Bob

Reactions: TeeDee and Robbi

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
Just seems to be a poorly made part. Little pin made out of a soft metal. No doubt I was too rough with it but still seems like a poor design. I was hoping someone had suggestions as the little pin is £9 with delivery online. Seems rather expensive for what it is

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm the opposite, can't for the life of me find a use for the multi tool I equally impulse purchased
I cut quite a few holes in plasterboard, could use a padsaw but there's a greater risk of damaging cables behind with those.
Also when fitting kitchen base units where the skirting is already on, a handsaw is a right faff as I only get a few teeth of movement so the multicutter comes out the van.
Almost every time I use it is to lessen the impact of someone else's shortsightedness on site.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I love mine. Really useful for cutting and detail sanding.
always use genuine dremel accessories though, had a few cheap ones shear/disintegrate in use

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have a black and decker version.

I must admit I never had much real use for it the cutting discs kept shattering and the drill was useless, I ended up using the drill bits with my full size drill.

The only use I found was to polish my wedding ring.

Sent using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I cut quite a few holes in plasterboard, could use a padsaw but there's a greater risk of damaging cables behind with those.
Also when fitting kitchen base units where the skirting is already on, a handsaw is a right faff as I only get a few teeth of movement so the multicutter comes out the van.
Almost every time I use it is to lessen the impact of someone else's shortsightedness on site.

Most of the stuff I do is automotive or general steel fabrication so the multitool is just something I never reach for.
I can see them coming in for things like kitchen fitting as you say though for sure

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I’ve had mine 25 years now, had two collets, for different size shafts, replaced this with a chuck, still going strong.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE