Dremel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Hi,

I've been really impressed with all the DIY stuff on the forums and now (probably foolishly and with disastrous results) wish to emulate such feats. Regardless of the fact that my pop-can stove didn't work at all. And looked crap.

Anyway, I think I need a Dremel ('cos everyone else has one), but which one?

Is it worth spending £60-100+?

I've seen copies by other manufacturers (often much cheaper): are they any good or merely poor, wannabe clones?

My first project is a hobo stove. After that...who knows?

Cheers
Claudiasboris

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've got three mini drills. Two are Performance Power type (B&Q own brand) and the third is a dremel - the battery type with a powerful lithium ion rechargeable battery. I hardly ever use the first two these days but I use the dremel for nearly all my mini drilling/grinding/polishing needs. Accessories are easy to come by plus another advantage I've found is the accessories from third parties seem to be designed for the dremel but don't fit the first two.

In the long run, it's definitely worth the extra money.

Eric

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I've got Aldi's version 240V mains version, along with a very comprehesive spare tool kit that I bought ( cheaply ) as an extra. I don't know know how the tools and abrasives fit other brands, but at about £20 for the lot, it more than paid for itself when I had to fix my toilet and it saved me having to phone a plumber.

Cheers, Michael.

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
I started with a cheap one, but but the biuld quality just isn't there so I palmed it off on the old man and got a lithiumion dremmel - wasn't sure it was the right move at the time but after a year or so I can deffinately say I agree with Eric; splash the cash - it's worth it.
You can pick up a corded version off the web for as little as £40! ( and the lithium version is only £65)

Cheers

Mark

xylaria

I have dremel, I have had it 7 years and it was well worth every penny I spent on it. The bits last ages, even in my abusive hands. I some how regard using it as cheating, it takes me about half and hour to make a bone needle with hand tools, and 5 minutes with a dremel. It is one of those tools that makes light of so many fiddly jobs, that it will get a lot of use.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i've got a hobbycraft style dremel, drill bits from maplins and other tools aswell. as long as its got a decent motor your laughing. i use mine for modelling work of all kinds and i'm always finding new uses for it ;)
pete

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
dremel all the way.

one tip.... dont test it by sanding pine in the kitchen with the washing in there. .... wife went mental :p

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I have the cheap aldi version too, and I love it! I would upgrade if I could afford it though.

Imo one thing that is an absolute necessity is the flexible extension. It's so much more convenient than having to hold the whole thing, as with my previous dremel ripoff.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
All hail the dremel.

Use the Aldi version for those nasty jobs when you don't want to ruin your dremel, the Aldi one is still pretty good though for £15!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Yup, I have a Dremel too. It's my best friend.
I would suggest you get the mains powered one rather than battery. The mains one will handle those heavy going jobs better without draining the battery.

I'd agree that heavy jobs can drain the dremel's battery more quickly.

I've never had a problem with it other than one job - using a router bit to cut across the ply on some 3/4" plywood... boy did it make a meal out of that!
Other things I'd sooner use a surform or some other bit of kit, but the dremel is great the rest of the time and does get use here - other than the thing with the plywood I've had no problem with the battery.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
i bought a black n decker one at bootsale for 2 quid, n just buy aldi/lidls selection packs of bits as n when they come up. only power tool i got and i love it

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
This might be ott for your needs but i use a makita straght grinder,6000 rpm not die grinder speed.
Expensive but it will last a lifetime,its got a 6mm collet so will take anything from cloth pollishing mops to diamond burrs.
Soloman.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I have the Aldi variable one with the flex extension (I always use it on the stand) and its bomb proof. That said I do always use dremel bit in it though. I cannot see any reason to replace it with for a wired bench dremel but I would certainty go for a dremel if I wanted LI cordless one or need the router attachment.

pwb

I've had a Dremel for a couple of months now :D and have used it for a few jobs such as cutting stainless steel, shaping leather edges and sanding wood.
It is really proving to be a very handy tool that I would say is worth the money.

As has been mentioned you can pick a corded one up for around £40 pounds.
Here's a 300 series and 25 tools also with a two year guarantee.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...ce-kit/path/17-mini-multi-purpose-power-tools

No connection with the company other than a happy customer.

Pete.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i've been using a B&D Wizard (yeah riiiiiight) for years, but I have a foot controlable old school (un-named) beefy version with the long flexi arm thats seen a whole lot of action.

The beauty of the B&D is that it has the same screw thead for fitting it into Dremel router attachments. If you arent going to buy a Dremel then get the b&d on that basis alone...if you think you might ever use the router that is...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE