Draw knives.

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
www.nativeawareness.co.uk
Hello all.

I was wondering if you could help me? I've agreed to teach 15, 16year olds bow making! I Know, I know i must be mad :rolleyes: They are quiet skilled kids. They've been through alternative education so they've got a good grasp of green woodworking. This makes me feel a little better :) I've 8 draw knives, but need 7 more. Does any one know where i can hire any? I cant afford to buy any more.

Thanks in advance,

James :)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I don't know where you can hire them, but I've found on occasion when I've been doing a course and haven't had enough, that making temporary drawknives from a frost mora and a split stick works well. It also works well in the field, when you yourself don't have a drawknife, but would like to draw off some wood for a project in situ. Basically, you find a stick, about an inch to an inch and a half diameter and eight inches long. Tie some cord around one end and batton the other end to split it, but not all the way down (the cord stops it splitting out.) Place the split stick over the pointy end of the knife, blade towards you and you have the conventional knife handle in one hand, and the split stick in the other. Bind up the split stick so the blade doesn't slip and use as a drawknife.

Health and safety might be an issue, but I used to use this technique long before the PC brigade rased it's head. The point is, it works. It works well with a machette too.

Eric

Reactions: bent-stick

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I've used a frosts mora similarly Eric. Batton the tip of the knife into a knot near the end of the stick.The wood is harder and the knot helps stop the stick splitting. Hold the stick in your left hand parallel to your left side and the knife handle across in front of you and draw away. Of course the knife needs to be very sharp :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE