Dragonfly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
This landed next to me earlier today, it was only after downloading the photo from the camera that I realized that one of its eyes has taken a knock at some point. Poor chap.

P7190065.JPG

Full size

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dragonflies have been around for about 300 million years, they came before and they have outlasted the dinosaurs :D Used to be ones with wings over 70cms wide :D

Scary thought ! :yikes:

Thanks for the photo :cool: I know they don't live very long in temperate zones, maybe that one's just getting old in his lifetime ?

cheers,
M

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Dragonflies are not my area of expertise, but I'd wager a groat or two that that is a female common red darter. I'm more sure of the gender than the species though.

Nice pic.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
*If* it is what I think, then the male is red, and the female is a sort of brownish, which might look yellow in the right light. Female dragonflies are almost always brown, at least in the smaller species, and this isn't a big one.

I'm assuming UK species, by the way.

As for silly names, I think the No-eyed Big-eyed Spider takes some beating. Genuine species, honest.

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
I love seeing dragonflies, I saw my first one this year last week down by the canal. I always remember my mum telling me to get inside if a dragonfly was outside when I lived in Germany.. I'm still not quite sure why!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I love seeing dragonflies, I saw my first one this year last week down by the canal. I always remember my mum telling me to get inside if a dragonfly was outside when I lived in Germany.. I'm still not quite sure why!

People apparently believe that the long abdomen is a huge sting, and are terrified of them.

They are harmless, unless you are smaller than them.

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
I do remember them being huge over there.. although I was only a small child at the time so I expect they were really no bigger than the ones we get over here. My mum is not scared of them, and neither am I.. just one of those odd things I guess :)

People apparently believe that the long abdomen is a huge sting, and are terrified of them.

They are harmless, unless you are smaller than them.

here are 3 pics i took recently Sunday 05 August 2012 around the ponds here at Cuerden Valley park Lancashire... firstly a mating pair of Blue Tailed Damselflies, the female is the brownish one: -

P1000188.JPG

Around the same pond i saw a female Emperor Dragonfly egg laying in some rotten wood low down near the edge of the pond.

P1000185.JPG

And lastly i had to get the BDS to identify this one because i was stumped! it threw me completely... apparently it's an immature female Migrant Hawker.

P1000211.JPG

thanks sandbender, the diagnostic feature of the migrant hawker i was told was the triangle just below the wings but i was still scratching my head until an expert told me no it's a golf tee! then it was a case of aaahh now i see it! :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE