Dox Fox Screaming

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just had one doing that blood curdling "murder in progress" mating call in the back field - is it me or is it a bit late in the season for that now?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In my head they normally knock if off before now...old age getting the better of me...I do wish they'd bloody pack it in. Its like Red deer in rut or nightjars. Brilliant to hear now and again but boring when its all the time.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
we heard one of them up in the new forest sometime last year, while we where on scout camp.
we ended up having to sleep inside, you couldn't sleep with the racket going on, and one girl had a panic attack because of it (brought back unpleasent memories or something)

I have never heard a scarier noise in my life.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If they keep it up one more night they are going to hear a scarier noise...it goes click, clack, phfwwwwt, thwack:AR15firin

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I used to provide security for a very rural university. Every year we'd have to calm down at least one townie who'd call us out to say someone was being hurt in the woods behind the halls of residence. Keeping a straight face was sometimes difficult when you had someone sobbing "She's been screaming like that for hours you have to help her!" "Err... so for the first few hours of screaming you were ok with it?"

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Mating is normally earlier, but it might be the harsh winter putting it off a bit. Birthing should be starting around or after this time.

Vixens that have given birth won't leave the den and will call to the dog Fox for more food, so it could also be that.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Mating is normally earlier, but it might be the harsh winter putting it off a bit. Birthing should be starting around or after this time.

Vixens that have given birth won't leave the den and will call to the dog Fox for more food, so it could also be that.

Aye, most things are a bit behind this year, even Wordsworth's Daffies.:)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Aye, most things are a bit behind this year, even Wordsworth's Daffies.:)
When he wrote that poam, he did so on or about the 5th April, 1804 for his sister who had noticed an early "belt of Daffodils" Climate changing even then
Though it is claimed he wrote that he "wandered lonely as a cow":D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE