Downloadable books

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's great that they're doing this with books, although I've just been through the list of partners to see how much it is and none of them have it for sale, so it's not available but you're teased with bits :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a copy of early 20th century Manufacturer's Recipes. This wonderful volume contains recipes for everything from making making varnishes to about seventy different types of explosives :eek: from matches to bullets :cool: it has soaps and face creams, animal feeds and vetinary mixtures, oils for different machineries, leather soaps, creams, finishes, .....brilliant book :D
I'll bring it with me when I get to a Moot.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do you have a name for said book Toddy? Sounds like a great read - I may have to have a hunt for a copy :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I do indeed. It is

Manufacturers' Practical Recipes Comprising Processes and Recipes for the manufacture of Commodities used in all the Industries, Arts and Professions.
Ed.G.S.Ranshaw, Ph.D., Publ, Shaw Publishing, London, copyright 1948.

Must admit I thought it was a little earlier; still all good stuff, recipes still include whale oil but no longer advise the use of the heavy metals and opiates that the Victorians favoured.

Too many chapters to list, but some choice ones are :-

Beverages,
Cosmetics,
Disinfectants,
Soaps,
Oils and Greases,
Metal cleansers and polishes,
Boot and leather prepations,
Lutes,
Pyrotechnics,
Explosives,
Harness and Leather Dressing,

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's worth every penny....even if your capacities and quantities memories do get a work out :rolleyes: I usually end up using in proportion quantities.

Enjoy :D

cheers,
Toddy

Grumpy Monkey

Mar 15, 2008
Buckinghamshire
Remembering to be careful about ordering 'how to make explosives' online.....just in case the authorities get the wrong idea; if I recall the fact you buy such material can lead you open to accusations of being a terrorist.

Now, anyone know how to make a dirty bomb.....oooppps!!!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm dead sad - I'm more interested in the household stuff :eek: I already make soap, wine and vinegar and really enjoy it - would love to do more!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All ordered and paid for (don't you love abebooks for out of print stuff?). Cost me £6 so I'm hoping to get at least that much fun out of it!

Disinfectants and Boot and Leather preparations spring to mind as early interest - I think I'll pass on the lutes (?) - perhaps a mandolin :)

Red

Gailainne

Life Member
Great stuff....1865 :D I also have ordered a copy of the book you mentioned Mary, unlike BR I probably will never make anything from it, but I am always fascinated by, I guess original processes, I'm sure it will make for an enjoyable read, Also thank you for introducing me to Abebooks, I didnt know it existed...I'm sure it will feature heavily on future credit card statements.

Regards

Stephen

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
All ordered and paid for (don't you love abebooks for out of print stuff?). Cost me £6 so I'm hoping to get at least that much fun out of it!

Disinfectants and Boot and Leather preparations spring to mind as early interest - I think I'll pass on the lutes (?) - perhaps a mandolin :)

Red

Ah, ...lutes are pastes for sealing boilers on steam engines and the like or the thick pastes that harden to repair teeth.

Stephen, if you have an even older copy of something similar could you maybe quote a title and author ? Might be good to see if we could find another or a re-print.

cheers,
M

Gailainne

Life Member
Stephen, if you have an even older copy of something similar could you maybe quote a title and author ? Might be good to see if we could find another or a re-print.

cheers,
M
Sorry Mary I was talking about the books on the list you gave, I even got it wrong its 1864 not 5 :eek:

I raided my dads library, and picked up "How things work" but Vol 3 is missing, they are lovely old things covered in what looks like leather with gold leaf.. I might try Abebooks to see if I can aquire the missing one.

Regards

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE