Down Sleeping Bag - Advice Sought

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Lol I'm guessing by the descriptions on the website of the kodiak and megalite that you are a big bloke, I'm currently looking at the highlite, I like how light it is and it's not that far out of my budget. How do the ranges work on the bags? I'm 6 ' 1 would the 6 ft bag fit or would I have to go up to 6'6? Just looked at the temperature rating though and it's only 2°

id go for the 6'6"if i were you. I am a big guy but i also like the facility to stack my bags one inside the other for extreme cold trips. I have the expander panel for the kodiak which lets the megalite nest inside. I can also get in wearing all my clothes if needed.

I looked at the highlite but the lack of draught baffles and 50% sewn through baffles put me off. be a great bag for summer but wont go very far into the other seasons imho.

Reece

Oct 27, 2011
Preston
I sleep cold so I always use quilts or sleeping bags that are rated far colder than the conditions I'm likely to meet. That's very personal of course, my partner sleeps much warmer than I do and can be comfortable in a much lighter sleeping bag.

I love the feel of really good down, it settles around you like thistledown. If I couldn't afford top quality down I would go for a really good man made fibre however, I reckon modern ones now compare to lower quality down and are a lot cheaper. I've now gone over pretty much completely to using a quilt rather than a sleeping bag, I've never liked the restrictions of a bag and frequently wake up in a panic because I've twisted it around in my sleep.

I'm pretty lucky that once I'm asleep, I sleep like the dead haha. My partner on the other hand rolls and kicks but is like an oven unlike my ice cold hands and feet

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Reece

Oct 27, 2011
Preston
id go for the 6'6"if i were you. I am a big guy but i also like the facility to stack my bags one inside the other for extreme cold trips. I have the expander panel for the kodiak which lets the megalite nest inside. I can also get in wearing all my clothes if needed.

I looked at the highlite but the lack of draught baffles and 50% sewn through baffles put me off. be a great bag for summer but wont go very far into the other seasons imho.

Yeah I did really like the weight on the highlite but it doesn't go cold enough, I've re evaluated by initial budget and I am now looking at the Ultralight, just wish it came in OG haha

Reece

Oct 27, 2011
Preston
That would be my pick for you too.

Could I go into colder conditions in it with layering and liners? Just thinking ahead. Also I was intending to use a cheap cotton liner with it just to prolong the life of the bag will this make it much warmer? I'm thinking that I'd use a cotton one most of the year and a silk one in winter. Will silk insulate better or is it a pack size and weight issue? I've not found much info on liners

Also thanks for all the advice so far you've saved me a lot of time Googling.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Steer well away from cotton liners mate, they tangle round your feet badly IME. You don't get the same issues with silk, it's lovely and slippery. Silk is much more tolerant of moisture too and much quicker drying. Well worth the extra dollar.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah I did really like the weight on the highlite but it doesn't go cold enough, I've re evaluated by initial budget and I am now looking at the Ultralight, just wish it came in OG haha

You could get the Phd Minim 400 for £100 less and save yourself 150g in the pack compared to the WM Ultralite ..

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=26&products_id=118

Phd's temp ratings are very conservative, I've used my Minim 300 well into the minuses and stayed toasty throughout. Have a look at the reviews before pulling the trigger, support British and all that :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I was lucky to grab a Mountain Hardwear Big Bang SL Sleeping Bag for winter use for £100 because it didn't come with the right storage bag and had no compression sack. It's a full winter bag, too hot for other times of the year but there are bargains to be had.

Mountain Hardwear is a brand I trust since having a down jacket of theirs for a decade that is still brilliant after some heavy use.

Reece

Oct 27, 2011
Preston
You could get the Phd Minim 400 for £100 less and save yourself 150g in the pack compared to the WM Ultralite ..

Phd's temp ratings are very conservative, I've used my Minim 300 well into the minuses and stayed toasty throughout. Have a look at the reviews before pulling the trigger, support British and all that :)

Yeah I don't want to rush into a big purchase just yet, I've got a full month to have a shop about and to try some different fits. I do like buying British, it's nice to get quality goods made by British people, makes me feel all warm and toasty inside haha :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece

+1 on the PHD kit

I've got a Minimus with a full zip Drishell outer and 900 down fill, weighs 549g with it's stuff sack and has kept me toasty warm down to 3c.

racer66

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2013
london
I should add the caveat that it gets expensive there, I have got very carried away with new ultralight gear from the guys on the forum!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE