Dough trough

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
Tapping up the knowledge of BUK as usual... has anyone made a dough trough? I'm not thinking of the huge victorian ones that you could sleep on, but a smaller one, to kneed and prove the dough in for a normal sized house..
I've got limited tools and even more limited skills, but thought it might be a good project.

Cheers Rich

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
warthog1981 made one for me a few years ago. He burned it out :) I still use it for bronze and iron age demos.

It's about two handspans long, maybe one wide and half that deep.

It's very good, the curved ends really let you work the dough and it's less effort when you can use the curve to do so too.

I have another one, made from sycamore that's a bit bigger. It was carved out by machine and left a bit thick since the timber was green. It's needing thinned out now, but it's really too big for everyday use, and only if I were demonstrating or there were a large group of us working to feed dozens.

cheers,
Toddy

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
Cheers Toddy, was thinking I'd probably burn it out too using coals, kind of like a mini dug out canoe I suppose, reckon it'd take a bit too long with my spoon knife. If you get round to it would you be able to post a picture of the smaller one, thanks Rich

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
If you could let us all know how you get on I'd certainly appreciate it. I've been wanting to make one for years but have been too cheap to buy and not lucky enough to acquire otherwise a piece of green sycamore about two foot long by at least 10 inches wide and 6 deep. I've one of Mr Budds excellent bowl adze's and some rather good bent gouges so when I do have a go I'll be whacking it rather than burning although I'd like to try that one day.

I have gave considered making a plank job, jointed and pegged together but really like the look of the hollowed out jobs.

Best of look with it!

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE