don't look if you're a bit squeamish- first deer!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Like mike313 said I know nothing of butchering and would like to have a try one day (with proper supervision I think) but 👍 for doing it. Braver then me. Love the look of all that meat it looks tasty.

Sent from somewhere?

Cheers mate! Just had some and it is tasty! :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
A side note, if you have one skin from the deer and one brain from the same deer, you will have enough brain to brain tan the skin. It takes a bit of time but can be well worth it.

You're all full of good ideas - another good one! Getting the brain out I reckon I could do with an axe too :D

Kiwi Tim

Oct 24, 2014
Taranaki
How to skin & bone out a deer - The Venex way!: [video]http://youtu.be/Ubxppdxfx0w[/video]
Hi thought you might like this for your next one

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Nice one bud. Next time gralloch on site, leave the green offal and the red will be fine to eat. Do NOT cut it's throat if you have not galloched it- you will get stomach contents on the meat which is highly likely to spoil it as deer/sheep stomach enzymes are very strong. Look up on youtube how to bleed at the sternum. It seems complicated but is very obvious once you try it for real.

The only other thing is to remove the hooves so that the detritus can't fall down onto the carcass. It will hang quite happily by suspending it between the leg bone and tendon with the lower leg removed. Usually hang for 3-7 days but if you've got rats you did exactly the right thing.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Nice one bud. Next time gralloch on site, leave the green offal and the red will be fine to eat. Do NOT cut it's throat if you have not galloched it- you will get stomach contents on the meat which is highly likely to spoil it as deer/sheep stomach enzymes are very strong. Look up on youtube how to bleed at the sternum. It seems complicated but is very obvious once you try it for real.

The only other thing is to remove the hooves so that the detritus can't fall down onto the carcass. It will hang quite happily by suspending it between the leg bone and tendon with the lower leg removed. Usually hang for 3-7 days but if you've got rats you did exactly the right thing.

Cheers mate! Thanks for the tips too- I was on a trip to the shops so we didn't have any sharps but that's got me thinking a knife in the boot will always be handy. I'm loving all the info and I will have a good research so I'm plenty prepared for any other times :).

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Proper job!

Don't worry about hanging it. That's a good job.

We normally bleed the beast ASAP after its grassed. Push the blade in above the sternum. Drain him. All just helps to cool the carcass though and getting him up and open is absolutely the way to go.

Cut above the anus under the tail. Poke your finger in and curl it around the anal tube. Pull it out the slit you made. That way you control the poop. You can tie it off. Up the other end if you push up through the diaphragm and pull out the throat including the glottis. You then have everything that can contaminate your carcass in one bag. Remove in one piece.

Read up on brain tanning. It's laborious but he has everything you need.

Damn good effort though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was on a trip to the shops so we didn't have any sharps but that's got me thinking a knife in the boot will always be handy. .

Your car is considered a public place believe it or not so unless you have "good reason" to have a fixed blade knife at all times, I would give this a miss chap. Its unlikely your Dads car will get searched...but....

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Proper job!

Don't worry about hanging it. That's a good job.

We normally bleed the beast ASAP after its grassed. Push the blade in above the sternum. Drain him. All just helps to cool the carcass though and getting him up and open is absolutely the way to go.

Cut above the anus under the tail. Poke your finger in and curl it around the anal tube. Pull it out the slit you made. That way you control the poop. You can tie it off. Up the other end if you push up through the diaphragm and pull out the throat including the glottis. You then have everything that can contaminate your carcass in one bag. Remove in one piece.

Read up on brain tanning. It's laborious but he has everything you need.

Damn good effort though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers mate! yeah brain tanning is definitely a future project for me :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Your car is considered a public place believe it or not so unless you have "good reason" to have a fixed blade knife at all times, I would give this a miss chap. Its unlikely your Dads car will get searched...but....

Yeah I probably will - bit of strange rule I geuss I can understand it but I won't bother, as you say unlikely but not worth risking the hassle :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
...and I forgot to say, don't forget to check the car for keds :eek:

We wrapped it in old towels the dog gets dried with and me mam just binned them afterwards and it's had a clean out since so I reckon it's clean- although a double check won't be wasted time that's for sure :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
How to skin & bone out a deer - The Venex way!: [video=youtube_share;Ubxppdxfx0w]http://youtu.be/Ubxppdxfx0w[/video]
Hi thought you might like this for your next one

Cheers for that link mate! Sorry I didn't reply I missed your post before.

Just defrosted the two shoulders yesterday and they are tonight's tea- it's set to be bloody lovely! :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Just looked into it a bit more and I think it might've been a roe deer Nd not a fallow. I though fallow because I knew there were some around haven spoken to someone though I ink this is roe- can anyone confirm this? Cheers :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Just looked into it a bit more and I think it might've been a roe deer Nd not a fallow. I though fallow because I knew there were some around haven spoken to someone though I ink this is roe- can anyone confirm this? Cheers :)

roe have no tail to speak of whereas fallow do.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
here's a comparison of tails clouston

roe
images

fallow
images

PS -- the tail hair of fallow is used for making flies for fly-fishing.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I would say young male roe. They have no tail (female row have no tail but a tuft of white hair on their rump) and this one seems to have no rump tuft but a tuft between his legs, so male. There's also a white chin which is more of a roe characteristic. If it was a fallow, even the darker melanistic type, I would expect to see spots on its back and a white line down the middle and around the back leg, along with a long tail.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE