Domestic Heating Choices - fighting climate change

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The one in the old house is a Panasonic, and I think we will get the same brand in the new house.
Direct heaters for the water. Stiebel Eltron.
Proper German quality.
We have three installed here on Island. Great money saver ( Energy = money)

The problem of having a low temp inside a house is increased humidity in the walls and everything else.

But of course, the economy you have has to decide.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
the fact is we all need electricity, or other forms of power, to keep warm and well.
The big problem will be the cost. the Govt stand to lose £28 Billion per year on petrol and diesel alone, they will have to recover that somewhere.

Reactions: Toddy

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As a total curiosity I have a Soviet era kettle that produces electricity when heating water. One gets max 36w at about 12V out of it. Thermoelectric element at the "false" bottom of the kettle.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
You make a good point. Too many people turn the thermostat up instead of putting on a fleece or even a thermal layer (my wife's the worst culprit :))

I've had solid fuel hearing all my life until I moved two years ago. I don't miss it, or the work involved in felling, cutting, hacking and stacking wood. I now live in a large flat with modern insulation, and a neighbour downstairs who has the heating cranked up full, so result, I have no heating costs anymore.

Anyone in the UK got an a to a heat pump ? Would be interested to hear what the real running costs are.

I also wonder what effect the changes will have on pellet burners. I considered one, but the salesman's quoted running costs were far from the reality of owners that I spoke to.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
As a total curiosity I have a Soviet era kettle that produces electricity when heating water. One gets max 36w at about 12V out of it. Thermoelectric element at the "false" bottom of the kettle.

What would they use it for? Power a radio while waiting for the water to boil?
Plug in a razor and shave?

The Soviets/Russians were and are great lateral thinkers.

Deekin, as my system is in Norway in the Arctic, I will not give you any sums, but the electricity bill went down about 1/3. This includes plugging in one more large chest freezer and running it the whole year, plus having a system that automatically heats up the incoming water pipe to above freezing, from the property boundary into the cellar.

There is one negative aspect of the A-A systems nobody seems to recognise, but which I find hugely irritating.
That is that in the room where the inside unit is, the air is moving ( slight breeze) at all times.
So I always have to grab the remote and change the louvres depending where I sit.
Plus a slight humming from the fan itself, but that is ok.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE