Doing our bit for the birds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We've had a pretty sorry looking scruffy Robin hanging around the smoke shelter at work all week. I think he's been trying to get some water from the wetness we've created on the ground, but then I noticed him routing through one of the bins yesterday probably searching for food.
Whilst I was having a ciggy late in the afternoon when all the staff had gone home, he came and sat on the chair next to me and just sat staring at me. He had those sad looking eyes you see on a six month old Labby and was quite happy for me to approach him without getting spooked. I looked around and as far as the eye could see everything was baltic and completely frozen.
As it was Friday and there'd be no staff or food scraps about for a few days and he'd given me the guilt trip, I shelled outa whole 85p on a bag of mixed fruit and nut from the vending machine and went back out to feed him. Straight away he grabbed a big fat dried apricot from my knee and took off with it. Twenty seconds later he was back, I think he must have stashed it somewhere and come back for more, hopefully anyway.
So I spent the next ten minutes out there giving this guy a variety off goodies which I checked on the RSPB site were all good for him, placed them on my knee and each time he grabbed a piece and flew around the corner of the building and then came back again.
I know it's only one little Robin and they're notoriously cheeky and tame, but I felt dead chuffed with myself that hopefully I'd fed this guy and his family enough for the weekend and that they managed to survive the cold a bit longer.

On my way out I got stopped by security, they had apparently been watching me on the IR cameras and asked what I was up to, Lol.

We'll have to see if he's about on Monday, my money says he will.
ChristmasRobin.jpg

This is not him btw, far too tidy.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Robins are kind of special :D, aren't they ?
Good on you :)

There's one pops down to see what I'm up to whenever I'm in the garden, usually I turn over a bit of earth for him, but these days I've been dropping a few wire worms for him in places I know he forages.
There's another one in the front garden too, ( they must be the same sex 'cos they chase each other off ) it's not quite so forward but it's coming closer every day to see what I've left for it :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Martin1

Dec 29, 2009
E. Yorks. UK
Good for you.
I'ver been feeding one (and the other birds) for a few weeks now.
Even had a blackbird what comes in the kitchen although I haven't seen it in a while and think the ******* moggies of the neighbours prob had it.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
While i was feeding my daughters pony last week i noticed that when the pony raised his head from his feed bucket a robin was darting in and making off with some oats.Must have been stashing them somewhere as he was back in a flash for more.

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
I was out in the woods yesterday, with my Golden Retriever and my Ghillie Kettle!

Within 2 minutes of setting up my Kettle, along comes a robin, feathers all puffed up to keep him warm.

He got his share of the nuts off the top of my snack bar!

As Shewie says, it makes you feel really chuffed to make contact with these beautifull birds and to help em out a bit.

Maybe we should all take a handful of birdfood, or some unsalted nuts (maybe crushed up to make small bits) and raisins and dish em out. My only problem with this would be if it made them in any way waste their time an energy coming back to the place the met them --- but hopefully just one "session" in any particular place wouldn't have this effect. What do you think? And what's the best kind of food to dish out?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We'll have to see if he's about on Monday, my money says he will.

Sure as eggs are eggs, he was there again today and looking quite chirpy (sorry).

Plenty of fresh water about for him to drink today though, there's a big thaw happening around here at the moment.
I went prepared today and put out a handful of sunflower seeds on one of the benches for him. I saw him come down a few times for a mouthful so life goes on in Robinland.

mikeob

Jun 3, 2009
Cardiff
Hiraeth................. you make me long for my homeland!

Guess the other guys won't understand this!

Some of us do hertsboy.

Toddy Outside the breeding season robins are very agressive little blighters. There is no reason why your two are the same sex. They are quite capable of fighting in the winter and breeding in the spring. That is what the singing is all about.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I made an effort to 'disturb' the snow in a number of areas on my patch whilst out stalking on Saturday and with good results at no cost. I also noted a variety of birds alighting close by whilst field dressing a fallow deer.

On the Sunday I caught up with a fox having just feasted on the gralloch but that's an exciting story for another day and forum!;)

Cheers

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Some of the territorial fights breaking out, especially between blackbirds, can be quite spectacular with no holds barred.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE