dogsledding in Lapland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
I've had a burning desire for some time now to go dogsledding and Lapland is where I want to do it...

Being an novice Bushcrafter, and wanting to have an element or at least spirit of this in the sledding, does anyone have any recommendations for this ?

I've got a few websites narrowed down myself so far, but would appreciate some advice from others that may have done it, or heard a recommendation.

I'm after an itinary of about a week in Dec/Jan, preferably either remote cabins or even Tipi.

All creature comforts aren't important, in fact would rather not have them - although don't tell the missus I said that... :D

Cheers,
Q.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
quiggers said:
I've had a burning desire for some time now to go dogsledding and Lapland is where I want to do it...

Being an novice Bushcrafter, and wanting to have an element or at least spirit of this in the sledding, does anyone have any recommendations for this ?

I've got a few websites narrowed down myself so far, but would appreciate some advice from others that may have done it, or heard a recommendation.

I'm after an itinary of about a week in Dec/Jan, preferably either remote cabins or even Tipi.

All creature comforts aren't important, in fact would rather not have them - although don't tell the missus I said that... :D

Cheers,
Q.

Hi mate,
I might be able to help you, I live in swedish Lapland. You can check out my webpage to see some pictures. Click on the winter pictures to get an idea how it looks here.

Abbes Camp

You might consider coming to a later date as the dec / jan is very dark. We have about 2 hours of light. Most of my winter pictures are taken in spring except for the picture where I warm my hands on the fire or the one where I come out of the snowhole. There you can get an idea how the light is in dec. All the others where taken in spring the sun is very powerfull and the snow freezes so you can travel easier.

PM me and I see what I can do for you.

cheers
Abbe

Ciaopaddy

Sep 27, 2005
Co.Galway
Fantastic ! Many thanks for the links guys. I rode around Norway this year and have been thinking of going dogsledding or something with the Sami this winter, but had no idea as to how to go about it and these sound great. I'm away to rob a bank :D

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
When I got married we had our honeymoon in Finland at December. Spent a day dog sledding, even did a bit of raindeer sledding (if thats what ya call it) got a certificate and everything.
Go for it great fun :D

pete

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
wow - as ever brilliant response guys - thanks

Abbe, your pics are making me want to get on a plane right now. Although you say there's 2 hours daylight in Dec/Jan, is the rest of the day like a continual dawn/dusk, which I've heard it is.

Also what's the best time for the northern lights ?
I don't mind not having full sunshine or getting a tan ;-)
Are there any other reasons not to do it in Dec/Jan ?

Unfortunately, the missus might not go for a full Bushcraft type trip, so have to find a compromise, or find her a spa holiday :D

Abbe, thanks for the offer of some help - I'll be in touch, great to get some advice re the time of year etc etc..

Q.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
quiggers said:
wow - as ever brilliant response guys - thanks

Abbe, your pics are making me want to get on a plane right now. Although you say there's 2 hours daylight in Dec/Jan, is the rest of the day like a continual dawn/dusk, which I've heard it is.

Also what's the best time for the northern lights ?
I don't mind not having full sunshine or getting a tan ;-)
Are there any other reasons not to do it in Dec/Jan ?

Unfortunately, the missus might not go for a full Bushcraft type trip, so have to find a compromise, or find her a spa holiday :D

Abbe, thanks for the offer of some help - I'll be in touch, great to get some advice re the time of year etc etc..

Q.

Hi mate,
Here comes a little about the seasons. The only times when I consider it really sucks here is the late spring when the snow melts and the ice is breaking on the lakes. That time is dangerous, you might go through the ice, everything is wet, you simply cant do much and stay in your cabin.

December is not so bad and dark as people often think it is, we have a lot of snow then and the reflections from the moon gives a very nice light in fact. I believe that Feb and march is the best time for northern lights but it all depends on the weather and how cold it is. If the sky is open it is usually very cold at that time and that is the time when you see the lights. If its cloudy, snowing etc its warmer and dark and you will need headlights to find firewood etc.

I would suggest that you get yourself a nice cabin, then you can experiement with some shelter technics and if it doesnt work out for your wife, you simply go home in your cabin. Sleeping out in the open around that time of the year is hard on your body and its nice to have a break and a place to go back if it gets too hard.
Or your wife sleeps in the cabin and you have now and then a night in the open.

stay in touch
cheers
Abbe

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Good advice Abbe.

it can be easy to underestimate the toll proper cold takes on your body. Having the option to retreat is always a sensible idea.

We all like a bit of luxury after spending time out in the wilds. I know how much i enjoy a hot bath after a week in the woods.

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
good advice Abbe - I think I'll leave the bushcrafty courses for another trip -which I will definately do I think..it's easier to enjoy yourself when you're not wondering if everyone else is having a fine time...

For anyones info - am looking at this place for sledding :

http://www.pallashusky.fi/

Although have found a week's survival course that I may have to go on myself :)

Q.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE