Dogsled lunch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
I love it when a good plan comes together, even if it wasn´t really planned!
This week we have got around three inches of snow and I realized that it was possible to go dogsleding from my porch. This is about as frequent as christmas and to make things better the weather is perfect.
I decided to change my plans and take the dogs to lunch.

As there is not much snow and I would probably ruin my skies if I tried nordic style, I borrowed my ex. girlfriends nomesled instead.

In an earlier thread I showed you all the nice "basecamp" site I had found not far from home.
I haven´t been there much because the winter has been dark and wet and also it has been huntingseason but now it was a perfect place to head out to, about half an hour with dogsled.

Melting snow the Saami way.
Contrary to us bushcrafters who think that being dirty, black with soot and smelling of woodsmoke is inevitable, the Saami are meticulous about being clean.
They don´t put the pan on the fire which makes all your kit black and sooty (and you also have the risk of the pan tipping and putting out the fire).
Rather, they put the pan beside the fire and rake the coals toward the side of the pan. This takes longer but I don´t argue with those whose life is bushcraft.
(It turns out that I don´t have Saami patiens and ended up putting it on the fire anyway.)

A nice wiew over the lake while the water boils.

On the way out I passed a noodletree and was able to harvest some.

I also had to go off the trail to pass some windfalls and in doing so I managed to tread through the ice on the mire and plunge my foot kneedeep into muddy water.
Easily fixed when you have a fire. Less so if you only have a methsburner.

All in all a nice lunch. The only thing missing is good company!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE