Dog Sledding in Finland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

David B

May 12, 2006
Tadcaster North Yorks
Dog Sledding in Finland Chapter 1

We Arrived at Kajaani airport at around 20:30 local time, to be met by Tommy 2 Phones the mad Finnish taxi Driver. Who proceeded to take us on a white knuckle 80 to 100KMP 2.5 hour journey in the dark down snow covered country roads most of the time with a phone on each ear.
We Arrived a the Peuranpolku wilderness centre slightly worse for wear at close to midnight, to be met by our guide ”Jukka Heikkinen” and the best Chicken casserole I have ever tasted.
We were then shown to our own Chalet and got our heads down.

We woke up early next morning to the sound of howling dogs and this sunrise
P2260003.jpg

shining through the window.
I got up for a bit of Exploration.
The centre
P3040224.jpg

The Kennels
P3030128.jpg

Some of the Dogs
P3030135.jpg

This was Oscory who was to be one of my lead dogs later in the week
P3030132.jpg

After breakfast we were kitted out and introduced to our dog teams for some instruction
P2270014.jpg

We were joined on the first day by a group of people on a multi activity holiday.
From day 2 on wards It was just SWMBO (Joan) Jukka the guide myself and 12 Huskies
Joan under starters orders
P2260008.jpg

Us out on the lake on the second day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4mqTLV6oQ

Jukka The guide Laid a trail with his Snowmobile and just left us and the dogs to follow, This gave the feeling that you were out on your own with just the dogs for company.

To Be continued..............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE