Dog, Fox Poo and Cleaning Leather!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
My dog has a bit of an obsession with most kinds of animal poo! Which at times can just make me gag!

This morning she managed to find a large pile of fox poo, not realising this till we arrived home I promtley attempted to clean it off, the stink does hang around!

The question is how do I get rid of the smell from the leather colar! tryed hot soapy water and ther is still a faint smell.

Also any ideas for getting her not to do it would be greatly appreciated!

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I think it is natural behaviour for canines. They try to camoflage their smell (and make the house smell "nice").
I suggest buying a new collar.
I remember an old dog of ours who loved this trick. I remember washing and hosing her down in a pair of swimming trunks in the garden in February! She use to lean all over you when she wass wet and whatever you wore would get wet and sh##y :(

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Every time I let my dog off the lead in a park he always finds the bloody stuff and it always goes on his face and neck area, your not wrong when you say it stinks to high heaven!!:yuck:

And it doesn't help him being pure white with thick long hair, unbelievable.:cussing:

Anyway if I was you I would just buy a new collar! :rolleyes:

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
:lmao: The same thing happened to my dog yesterday after our little forage in the local woods.

I've tried to stop her, but now realise that as soon as she has 1 roll in the stuff she is going to stink, so I let her continue.

HOWEVER

Revenge for stinking my car out is mine.

A bottle of J&J baby shampoo is always outside the back of my house for such emergencies. A nice hosing down followed by a rather large black bucket full of cold water later resulted in a good two hour dog sulk!

She has a nylon harness and it retains the stink rather well so it is now outside in the said bucket! I'll give it a couple of days and try cleaning it again.

You have my sympathis Atross

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
The shampooing outside could be what is needed! Also a bit more awarness, as i didn't notice untill i got in and was sitting at the comp when I put my hand down for a stoke! I sware I could smell it all day!

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
A good trick a mate of mine from Canada told me for removing skunk stink is tomato ketchup, it apparently neutralises the smell. Tried it on the mutt, last time he evaded my attention for a bit, and it does work. Not sure how it would work on leather, but it is only skin afterall.
Baggins

Feb 2, 2007
South London
Ill second ketchup, It works on fox poo for dog coats.
Not sure what exactly in the ketchup does the job but it will work.
Rub it in and leave it for a little while then wash out.
Maybe it will work on the collar.

As for stopping them rolling in it in the first place.
My Tika has a double coat and it realy penetrates and is a pig to get out.
And he rolled in all he could find when he was younger, didnt make us popular in the household.
You have to stop them just as they get the idea and disturb the behaviour.
Just shouting "no" in a loud and commanding voice as they start should be enough. Then distract the dog with a treat or a toy. They will soon get the idea.
Dont let them carry on if they have already started.
We broke the habit and Tika hasnt done it for a while now.

Now all weve got to do is stop him eating horse poo.

Gordon

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Have to agree with the ketchup idea for neutralising fox smells on your dog .
Like has already been said i am unsure why it works but i know the dogs getts kinda worried when they get smothered in something they see you put on your dinner !! Stopped my old GSD doing it for a fortnight , it was every day before that .
Pumbaa

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
GordonEndersby said:
Now all weve got to do is stop him eating horse poo.

Gordon

It must have some goodness in it for him to munch away and to be honest, horse manure of all animals is by far the easiest to handle. Not that I fancy a Mr Ed dung kebab myself any time soon :yuck: :lmao: .

Matt.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
baggins said:
A good trick a mate of mine from Canada told me for removing skunk stink is tomato ketchup, it apparently neutralises the smell. Tried it on the mutt, last time he evaded my attention for a bit, and it does work. Not sure how it would work on leather, but it is only skin afterall.
Baggins

Thats incredible, I'll be buying a second bottle just for the dog!!:lmao:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
baggins said:
A good trick a mate of mine from Canada told me for removing skunk stink is tomato ketchup, it apparently neutralises the smell.
Baggins

I have heard that too - does it really work or is it another 'wife's tale'?

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Tryed the tomato ketchup, it seems to have worked. A few satchets will be added to my dog walking kit. :You_Rock_

Myn also likes to eat the horse poo, as well as Deer poo and Rabit poo. Anyone would think that we didn't feed her :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The tomato thing is bunk. I knew someone in the US who's dog got skunked, they did the tomato bath, swore it worked, but I could still smell the skunk on the dog for days.

I remembered reading about this a while back. Try a google search, everthing points to it being an old wive's tale.

http://www.humboldt.edu/~wfw2/deodorize.shtml

There might be some other chemicals that will do the trick though.

thackstonii

Jan 16, 2007
Cambridge
Yeap, that foxy smell sure does linger...I suggest burning the collar (whether you remove it from the dog first is up to you).

My dogs favourite tick to make me barf is suddenly switching to eating what I thought was dog poo which they normally leave well alone...until one day, I caught sight of a local runner who dropped their cacks an had a dump in the hedge...My thinking is human poo has a higher protein content than dog poo because we are not (as) obligate carnivores (as dogs).

Then it dawned on me that I walk my dogs on a long distance foot path and all those friendly hikers were not practicing good toileting practices...hmmmmm tasty.

Mark

PS: My lab only rolls in Fox poo if I have just nipped out for a quick five minutes prior to going to some appointment, how do they know?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE