Does anyone know where I might get...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Silva is a swedish brand, so should be easier to find in europe. Can't find the one hi-viz version on their webpage though.

That's because that particular one looks to be a US one (price is in $ so I assume it's a US website) Silva US was aquired by Johnson Outoors and is no longer associated with Silva Sweden. It's likely not one of the Swedish models.

Also need to add that the Silvas in the US are now Chinese made. Stick with one of the Swedish ones.

Last edited:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Stupid international economy... If I were to buy an american compass I would buy a brunton survey compass, or the army version of it (is it M2?).

To the op, is the hi-viz feature necessary?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Stupid international economy... If I were to buy an american compass I would buy a brunton survey compass, or the army version of it (is it M2?).

To the op, is the hi-viz feature necessary?

Ironically I believe the Bruntons may be made in Sweden now! Not sure though.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Cheers for the advice all... it's that exact model i'm after, looks like i'm going to have to order it from the US.

I have no problem with anything being made anywhere. Location does not dictate quality absolutely... tons of computer manufacturing comes from the far east and we all love it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Cheers for the advice all... it's that exact model i'm after, looks like i'm going to have to order it from the US.

I have no problem with anything being made anywhere. Location does not dictate quality absolutely... tons of computer manufacturing comes from the far east and we all love it.

The problem with the US ones (the Chinese made) is that the quality has indeed gone down.

If you're willing to order from the US though, you might have a look at Brunton's US website. As I said, those are actually Swdish made Solvas rebadged as Brunton. They might have an equivalent model.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think the more expensive proffessional surveyors compasses are made in the US, and the more inexpensive ones are made by Silva.

Possibly true. Looks like the model he wants is one of the more common inexpensive ones.

I know for sure that I miss the days when a Silva was really a Silva.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well, i'm sure you can go out and get the rolls royce of navigation instruments but to be honest I just want something that has clear markings and points north.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Well, i'm sure you can go out and get the rolls royce of navigation instruments but to be honest I just want something that has clear markings and points north.

If this is a compass made for the american market won't the set up for magnetic variation be different to here?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If this is a compass made for the american market won't the set up for magnetic variation be different to here?

The ones on our market generally have adjustable variation. Remember the US goes from near zero in Florida to quite a bit in Hawaii.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Of course it will be... but the magnetic declination is quite different between the east and west coast of america. It's something everyone has to deal with wherever they are really.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE