Does anyone know please where I can find the cost for buying a garden plot of land?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Thanks for looking.

I have the opportunity of potentially purchasing a plot of land frokm a neighbouring garden of a house that has stood empty for some time ... but I don't want to get ripped off.

I've done various internet searches but can't find anything that might guide me on price etc., The plot is probably about 35 square metres.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find something useful.

Alternatively does anyone have experience of doing someyjing similar.

We would be using the patch for a vegetable garden and to keep chickens.

Again - many thanks for looking.

Best Wishes
David

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think , ( maybe wrong ) It would depend on IF it has POTENTIAL to be built upon regardless on your intentions. Sorry.

We did run into doing something like this with a house we owned to just increase the garden. Contacted the council to see if we could purchase it ( their land going to waste ) and was told we would have to pay to get it independtly valued and the valuer came back that it had 'potential' so was valued far , far higher.

Last edited:

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
I would have thought the first option would be to contact the current owners of the land (the vacant house) and see if they would be prepared to sell off some of the garden

Dave

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
I would have thought the first option would be to contact the current owners of the land (the vacant house) and see if they would be prepared to sell off some of the garden

Dave

The house has stood empty for approx 20 months. It is owned by a trust, whose solicitors have placed the house with an estate agent to sell.

I would imagine that the estate agent will come up with a price - my problem is that I have no idea whether that price might be fair or not

We have no problem with negotiating a sensible price but I don't know what the appropriate starting price should be so that we can avoid getting ripped off.

Best Wishes
David

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Have you tried asking an agent, hypothetically how much land is going for - one unconnected with the sale. They'll think you're a prospective buyer and show you what they have on their books. You then have a benchmark to bid under.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
The problem with buying a plot that is part of a residential property is that the price might have to reflect some hope value (if for example you could realistically build an extension on it at some point in the future. The reverse of this might be that the seller would look for a premium to compensate them for loss of a garden amenity (depends on how much of the garden you are taking) as that will have an impact on the sale price of their house.

I know it's not a council house but you might find that asking the estates/property team in your local Council if they have sold off any plots for for allotment use (not housing) that might give you some comparable evidence. Also speak to your local estate agents just in case they are selling any non-housing plots an d check any local agricultural auctions. What you DON'T want are values based on plots with permission to build a house, they will produce silly money.

You could also speak to your local District Valuer's office (whatever the English equivalent is) - they are often brought in by Councils to provide valuations of plots of land for all purposes and again might give you a steer on some comparables in your area.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Depends, 35 square metres might go for a grand, three grand, five grand; get planning to build a house and it jumps to £50k+ Ask the estate agent for a price and if its within your negotiating range start negotiating, if its out of range put in a lower offer; they can only say no.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
We've been through this one before. The convention seems to be that you pay between 50% and 100% of the value that the land will add to your property. Get three estate agents to quote on what it does for the value, and that's the final price. A few years back a friend paid £25k for about 0.15 acres because it did great things for the house value; we've looked at paying just a couple of thousand for a similar area, because it had a derelict building on it that had to be cleared, with no hope of ever rebuilding (protected tree on the site).

Remember that the Trustees will be duty bound to protect the value of the trust, so they won't be permitted to haggle or to let it go for anything less than its fair market price - even if all you want it for is to put a few hens on it.

An alternative approach might be to try to lease it off them on a lease that lasts for your tenure/ownership of your property. That way they don't have to worry about upkeep and you get the benefit of the land anyway.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Property isn't exactly flying off the shelves at the moment, so you're (thinking of) buying at a good time. Rik's right, just give it a shot. I would start the ball rolling at about a third of what I thought I'd eventually be prepared to pay, and I wouldn't be in a hurry to negotiate. I'd think about it for a long time.

There are many Websites which advertise property for sale and to try to get an idea what to offer you could look for something similar amongst them that's for sale, or better yet sold recently -- but I'm sure you'll have a hard time finding anything closely comparable. If you do find something that's sold you can find the selling price from the Land Registry.

Don't get carried away. It might just be cheaper to move to a house with a bigger garden. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE