Does anyone here know about metal detectors?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
Although I was bitten by the treasure-seeking bug years ago, I've never actually done much about it. Time to change that!

I did make myself a proper detector, from a project in Practical Electronics I think, 20ish years ago and amazingly it still works. I want a better one though, that's not made from plumbing pipes and plastic dinner plates.

So, what's a good all-rounder for the UK? I know that most are designed for US coins which are different to ours, and maybe aren't so good for relic hunting. I might want to use it in parks, fields, beaches, or wherever I happen to be. At the moment I have no particular direction in what I want to search for, other than a big chest of gold doubloons!

I've got a bit of cash put aside from selling knives and stuff :( , plus some birthday money coming, although I can't afford a Whites V3!

I'm looking at things like a Whites DFX/DFX 300 or a Golden Mask 3+, that sort of area. I would rather buy once and cry once.

Any advice on models, coils etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Rick.

D

Deleted dude 7861

I bought an old Fisher 1265-x those line were always pretty good and you also benefit from adding a better search head. A lot of people still use these today.

Sep 13, 2006
Kent
Hi

I work with these things for a living and you can improve your results considerably just by using it properly.

I often see people swinging the things like a machete and it doesnt allow it to work, plus, once you factor in the high forward walking speed you end up with the search head covering a sine wave pattern, meaning that you are only covering about 5% of the ground in front of you. So, top tips are:

1. Keep the search head around five cm from the ground
2. Stand still and move the search head across in front of you across an (imaginary) 1 metre wide lane towards a fixed point in front of you/on the horizon.
3. Once you have swept across your lane, move forwards half the width of the search head.
4. Repeat until you have searched the area you want to search

You will note that your forward speed depends on the speed in which you complete each sweep, it will be sedate and comfortable, rather than waving the detector like a demented drum majorette in a vain attempt to keep up with a brisk walking pace.

Doing this will get a better result with a cheap detector than spending money on a gucci bit of kit and then using it badly

Hope this helps

B

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
Thanks for that Baldrick, imagining that lane helps. I'll probably do OK as I can't walk fast anyway at the moment, due to surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon!

Cheers,
Rick.

Last edited:

Nightjar

May 19, 2009
Belfast
I have two for sale, one is a prism something or other,the other is a pinpoint detector which you use once you have dug a hole... will send more info once I find them!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE