Does any one have a proper hat stretcher?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi all
a while back I used just about the last of my stash of Swanni material yo make a lined 6 panel skull cap/beanie. I cocked up some where and its just too tight to wear comfortably. Now rather than unpick it all and possibly insert a small panel does any one have a proper screw hat stretcher I can send it to for some , well stretching ?

Pretty please?

atb

tom

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you can find an old fashioned gentlemens outfitters, most of them have a hat stretcher on the premises; probably none of the younger ones would know how to use it, but you do, eh? I've had good results in the past by
steamig the hat, then stretching over a dinner plate or mixing bowl and leaving to dry overnight.........................atb mac

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for those ideas and I may have to resort to the stretching it over a bowl as you suggest.

All the local gents outfitters around here are either now nail bars or kebab shops....

if I could find some suitable blocks of wood I'd have a go at turning then sawing up a block , fitting some big pegs to the two halves and use the bench stop holes on and next to the vice on my work bench to open it up. It would only stretch in one direction rather than two like a proper job but it would hopefully apply enough pressure in a controlled manner.

thanks!

tom

Ps in the mean time I'm "having" to wear this sexy leather number that fits spot on, lined with some excellent Dark Ages / iron Age type wool a certain kind lady of this parish gave me.

image_zpsefac5fd5.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE