Does a lighter daysack to accompany berghaus centurio 45L make sense?

mickbr

Aug 23, 2018
Australia
Hi Gents, I do 1-3 day hikes in Australia, wet tropics climate. I moved away from heavy expedition packs as I realised I just dont need them anymore, and recently got a 45L Berghaus centurio, as yet untested overnight.

I was considering getting a lighter weight daysack to carry in the centurio as well. Use it for smaller trips out from base camp. Some tasks would be scuttling along rocks along beachers, where I dont really need a 45L pack hanging off me.

This daypack could even serve for commuting or metro use( I like to combine uses, Im very cheap lol).

Is this is a fools errand? If not, any idea of suggested literage and models?

Last edited:

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Somerset, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire
Centurio 45 takes PLCE side pouches, right?

Add those, buy a PLCE yoke and put it in your Centurio, then you can get to camp, remove the pouch(es) and you can use the side pouch(es) on the yoke as a small daysack.

See here for an example:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Centurio 45 takes PLCE side pouches, right?

Add those, buy a PLCE yoke and put it in your Centurio, then you can get to camp, remove the pouch(es) and you can use the side pouch(es) on the yoke as a small daysack.

See here for an example:

Doesn't look like the Centurio 45 takes PLCE. It takes MMPS side pockets. Different compatibility, at least that is what folk are saying here:

Straps to make day bag are not the same as PLCE yoke.

All that said, I thoroughly endorse the idea of a day bag from the 45 litre pack, and the use of two side pockets for this purpose. I did it on a Snugpak, a Sabre 45, and a Kifaru Zulu. I even made my own version of the PLCE using 500D Cordura rather than the stock 1000D stuff, to work with the Kifaru accessory shoulder straps (more comfy than PLCE yoke).

Reactions: Chris

mickbr

Aug 23, 2018
Australia
thanks fellas. some food for thought there.

I was never a big fan of the rocket daypack look, was excited when I got my Vulcan 14 or so years ago but never really warmed to using the pouches like that. Just found they felt wierd , as in overly wide for a day pack and the straps didnt feel as secure on my shoulders as I do a lot of scrambling.

Im thinking of a Tasmanian tiger essentials pack either the 10L or 15L. Weight is 500-600grams, hmmm some thought to go into it. They apparently roll down okay and could stuff them in the top section of the centurio or just lash it to the outside of the pack.

The 10L and 15L PLCE/MMPS type pair pouches are of course a lot lighter, so its a bit of a saving if I go that way. Im trying to avoid putting two of these on the outside of the centurio though as I'd be lugging essentially a 65-70L pack again. Wider, a bit heavier and the temptation to fill those pouches will come upon me Lol.

Anyone know if you buy just 1x 15L pouch or do they only come as a pair?

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
PLCE is zip up where as MMPS is zip down so they are not compatible. They are more like 11 liters each. depends who is selling them as to whether you get 1 or 2. try and get a good grade because the clips do get damaged and crack.

I'm not a fan of the 2 pouches side by side either. i used to use 1 with the connector straps that come with the yoke without the yoke which was ok for light stuff.

I think the TT pack looks a better option if you need it stable on your back. I have a few pouches by them and great quality for the price. The only thing with TT is the Molle pattern doesn't match up with some others. meaning there are normally odd number of loops. not a big issue but just means some other pouches wont fit equally in the middle or side by side like you would expect.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I use the MMPS Grab bag:

Reactions: lostplanet
Savotta have 12L rolltop.

i haven't tried one myself, but the "jaakari" S is about one litre when folded up...
for a collapsible daypack i'm using something similar to a WW2 style veshmeshok (basically a pillow case with draw strings)

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
As far back as I can remember it's been SOP to have a small extra pack.
A heavy duty sleeping bag sack does a good job but it could be something as small as a big bumbag. A waist pack is a good place to stash all the small things that you have for day to day use, the 10 essentials plus the snacks for the day etc: and if the belt is big enough [ say a proper 50mm webbing belt] then a waterbottle of two can be hung off the belt and if that WB has a nesting cup you are pretty well set for a day out except for the extra clothing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE