Do you know the "Porter's Hitch"?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Thanks for posting.

to quote from the link:

"The Highwayman's Hitch rightly draws the scorn of knot tyers, tending to capsize to the point where the draw loop no longer functions, or coming undone under strain or motion,"

I thought it was just me failing to tighten everything down properly. I shall have to play with the Tumble hitch.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Thanks for posting.

to quote from the link:

"The Highwayman's Hitch rightly draws the scorn of knot tyers, tending to capsize to the point where the draw loop no longer functions, or coming undone under strain or motion,"

I thought it was just me failing to tighten everything down properly. I shall have to play with the Tumble hitch.

You're welcome Ben.

I recall some thirty plus years a go tying a highwayman's hitch to show my father this new knot I'd learnt, his comment; "very good, I wouldn't trust my weight on it though!"

Surely someone here has forked out for Ashley's and has the answer for us.

Al

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Hmm found this
[A porter's knot] consists of a strong fillet to encircle the head, attached to a curiously stuffed cushion of the width of the shoulders, whereon it rests, and is of height sufficient to bear thereon a box, or heavy load of any kind, which, by means of this knot, is carried on the head and shoulders; the weight thereof being borne equally by the various powers of the body capable of sustaining pressure, no muscles are distressed, but the whole are brought to the porter’s service in his labour of carrying.

here:
http://goldenrulejones.com/?p=953

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Okay, quick google foo produces this:

porters-knot.png

So it looks like a padded ring made from a scarf/neckerchief to balance a load on your head.

Al

Edit to add: I hope this is what you want as you asked for a hitch, which technically should be tied to something.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Okay, quick google foo produces this:

porters-knot.png

So it looks like a padded ring made from a scarf/neckerchief to balance a load on your head.

Al

Slightly different to the one I found (see my post) but along the same lines. I suspect it boils down to any knot/hitch/contrivance that a porter may have used to transport a load.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Slightly different to the one I found (see my post) but along the same lines. I suspect it boils down to any knot/hitch/contrivance that a porter may have used to transport a load.

Sorry, I thought your post was describing a tumpline, kinda tricky with the ye olde englishe.

I suspect you're correct that a porters hitch/knot/strap covers numerous things.

Al

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi and thanks for the interesting stuff.

I came across the reference in “Nanda Devi; The Tragic Expedition” by John Roskelley.

The passage:

“I was surprised to see the porters carry the heavy loads as if they were backpacks. Instead of soft foam padded shoulder straps, they used quarter-inch manila rope or a long narrow strip of cotton. A knot called a ‘porter hitch’ which could be pulled to release the load quickly in an emergency, was tied last under the armpit…..I was to appreciate this safety measure because the porters were in constant danger of deadly falls in steep terrain”.

So far the tumble hitch seems to be the only thing that might be it, though I have no idea how the ropes would be led across the body.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE