Do I have moths?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
So here's my situation:I love wool, particularly Merino and have a few jumpers and socks that are 100%
In the last 6 months some of them have developed holes (from half a cm to 2cm diameter) but others haven't. I have one 100% merino jumper from Gap that has five holes across the back and another 100% merino jumper, also from Gap that has none.

They are all kept in the same part of the wardrobe and I've not seen any moths in the air near there (I see the very occasional small moth around the house but I'm not sure if they are clothes moths or not. They look relatively similar but could be another genus)

So, I'm confuddled. I'd love not to have clothes moths as most that I've read seems to suggest that once you have them, they're difficult to get rid of but I can't work out another explanation. Will they favour some garments and entirely ignore others nearby?

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Sounds like moths to me. :(

They hole indiscriminately. I now store all wool clothing in storage boxes.

Not hard to get rid of IME. To be sure, just freeze the woollies in the freezer and then store in a place the moths cant get to.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
well I had moths :(
but they seem to vanish after I sprayed the room heavily with a pesticide(yes I know).But they have now gone... and I dont see any new holes.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Yep, sounds like moths. I know from bitter experience. Like the others suggest, store your woollens in bags or other containers the moths can't get into.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE