DIY Wood Burning Tent Stove Project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
freeserve hosting which is being used on those pics seem only to work some of the time.. refresh using ctrl-f5 a few times and you should get them

Say...shouldn't this title be " Tent burning wood stove" ...? :)

Please note the electrical cord hanging to the left. This was plugged into an inverter and two deep cycle batteries provided the juice to watch hunting videos while at camp.

Cnv0516.jpg

Cnv0517.jpg

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
jeff is that a titanium stove or stainless looks exactly what i,m after for taking on canoe trips,what make is it please

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
That is the stove that I loosly based my design on, I was going to get one from the US until I was told the shipping would be $120 !!!! :eek: more than the price of the stove. So out came the drawing board and drill.......

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
I think i have solved the problem with the door warping during use, i have fitted a heat sheild to the back of the door(side next to the fire) this is fitted loosly on 3 bolts to allow for expansion without stressing the door. On the initial test it seems to work ok but i didnt have the chimney fitted so couldnt get it up to full temperature but still a fair heat and no warping of the door. :beerchug:

Michael

Nov 1, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Michael,

Excellent job. I just used a Kifaru arctic stove (their newest one and bigger yet than the "large" stove) and wasn't too impressed. Currently am planning to purchase one of Four Dog's titanium stoves but after looking at yours it piques my interest in trying to make one for myself!

John

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
I would say go for it and make your own but then i noticed you live in the US and dont have the worry or expense of postage and import duty so maybe buying is a better option. I have heard of the new arctic stove and was wondering how it would perform. The Kifaru stoves are definetly limited in there burn times but if you need to carry it in and have a good sleeping bag they are probably the best that is on offer.
If you need plans for my stove i can send you my original design which i couldnt make because of the expense of getting the joints formed but you might be able to source the work cheaper over there.
Best of luck

Michael

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Regarding fitting a watertank and air gap.Years ago I had a circulator fitted to my hot water system at home. I took it in bits to try repair it and there was a black paste between the heat exchanger and the water jacket. I dont know what it was but it was like a carbon substance. Obviously it needs to be something that transmits heat readily. Hope this is of some use.
Ian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE