DIY whistle from pop/beer can

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Came across this video the other day showing how to make a whistle from a pop/beer can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwMgfHJkZJ4

I hadn't seen it before and it may be of interest to others too.

I had a go (I even used a can I found in the street) and it works surprisingly well.

Main comments are:
  • I did use scissors as I found trying to cut straight lines with a knife difficult
  • it seems to work best if you keep the sides parallel
  • as advised in the video you will need to wiggle it about a bit to get a good sound
  • it must be simple if I can do it and so may be a good project for scouts, guides etc
  • I think it took me about 5 - 10 minutes
  • it was great fun and I was whistling with it for ages (just had another go!)

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I modified it shlightly which seems a better construction is to cut a slot out of the end section you hold then fold the two legs to add thickness which can then be slotted into the mouthpiece, saves having to adjust your hold to get the correct gap for the actual whistle sound.

Last edited:

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Apologies for the poor images, shots taken with a poor camera phone.
Hope this helps, the first shot is the slot with the legs turned over the second is the everything slotted together.

Cut slots.jpgblow hole.jpg

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Well .... I gave it a go but couldn't get it to work, so I think I will stick with the original version

PS as I ruined the one I had made in trying your mod, I will have to invoice you for the damage:)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
That's a cool trick, works really well:

2bd3ffaa.mp4

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Well .... I gave it a go but couldn't get it to work, so I think I will stick with the original version

PS as I ruined the one I had made in trying your mod, I will have to invoice you for the damage:)

All mine work really well, just get the distance and aperture of the mouthpiece correct which I would suggest you may have got slightly wrong.
I have one at the ready in the car when the kids play up in the back.

This is a perfect task for my scouts to do this week unless the weather improves, supposed to be crabbing on Wednesday evening.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE