DIY Walking/Tracking Staff Tutorial?

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
For a while now I've fancied having a bash at making a walking staff for a few reasons.

To help prolong my gammy knee's lifespan.
To use as a tarp pole.
To help get across lakeland becks.
Help improve my tracking skills (wouldn't take much as they're non-existent)
And because I just like the look of the traditional types.:cool:

Anyone know of any tutorials I could have a look at? I'm thinking hazel with antler top and some way of making it a tracking stick too. Not sure but I think that means it has moveable loops on it that you use to measure the gait of the tracks. Probably miles off though.:rolleyes:

Anyone got any info or links?

Cheers
Sean:)

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Find a carbon fibre tree!
;^)

Jim

:D Man you hate natural materials don't you?

Is your wardrobe completely synthetic? You know polyester etc causes BO right? Maybe your loved ones haven't the heart to tell you. Time for some open, honest discussion about your musk, Jim. I'm here for you.:)

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Time for some open, honest discussion about your musk, Jim. I'm here for you.

Actually B.O. is one thing I don't suffer from!

Last year my legs got soaked because I kept putting off putting overtrousers on, hoping the rain would stop. I was wearing Ron Hills Tracksters and was able to walk them dry. However my underpants were cotton and it took much longer for them to dry - probably near 2 days for the waistband to completely dry. There's something unspeakably unpleasant having a cold clammy waistband on your underpants! For this year I've bought a pair of synthetic underpants to try.

Jim

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Actually B.O. is one thing I don't suffer from!

Last year my legs got soaked because I kept putting off putting overtrousers on, hoping the rain would stop. I was wearing Ron Hills Tracksters and was able to walk them dry. However my underpants were cotton and it took much longer for them to dry - probably near 2 days for the waistband to completely dry. There's something unspeakably unpleasant having a cold clammy waistband on your underpants! For this year I've bought a pair of synthetic underpants to try.

Jim

Good luck with that and thanks for sharing the damp underpants story:eek: :p :)

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hi Prawnster,
I have made and sold a good few sticks/staffs now and although I havent got a tutorial if you get stuck or need some advise give me a shout and ill be happy to help

CBJ

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
just before spring i went out and cut a reasonably straight hazel sapling.
i left it to season in an outside cupboard for a few months, brought it in, skinned it, put a hole in to add a wrist strap and presto walking staff!
i have a bad knee too and this thing really helped up and down the peak district! even better Calibanzwei found a walking stick end (rubber bit) up around fairbroon naze so its adorned with that too. i may have a go at carving a wood spirit in the top too.
just pick a nice straight piece about one and a half inches thick. i'm gonna get some more methinks.
pete

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Try Merino undies......or go "commando"
Natural is best by far!
Even the highest tech undies stay wet long enough to cause unpleasant chafe!
I know this of old...

Perhaps we need a "dry underwear" thread...or is that "dry thread underwear"........?

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
You can get synthetic boxers made from a fabric called LIFA thats 100% polypropoline (dunno if thats how it is spelt)
Polypropolinineeennenenene holds 60% less water than polyester and won a nobel prize for the technology.
Because the fabric is spun from what is basically a plastic it holds no moisture, so any wetness is transfered through the fabric to the next layer or outside the clothing.

You can also get boxers made from a 45% Lifa and 55% Merino mix with Lifa on the inside to transport moisture and Merino on the outside to keep the warmth in.....

J

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
thread_direction.gif

Ermmmm I think we've got off the OP query about making walking sticks :D

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
One last post on wet undies
I'd heard the special forces often wear swimming trunks rather than normal undies as they dry out quicker etc

Just a thought...

Back to the stick

Have a look at some walking stick sites.
The priciple is easy enough
Find a stick you like, let is dry out.
Find a piece of antler (as you said you wanted that)
6 or 8mm threaded bar 5 or 6 inchs long, drill a hole in both ends and glue the 2 bits together.
Shape to fit
Done
The lacky bands are castration rings for lambs. They come bags of 1000 normally so it might be an idea to see if you know a freindly farmer or one or two people on here have bought loads so a kind plea may get results.

Cheers

Mark

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Some great info there guys even with the strange tangent:D
Thanks for your help and thanks to CBJ for the kind offer.

Had a mooch about yesterday and I've discovered that there is no hazel anywhere near my house. Funny how you don't notice something is missing until you need it:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE