DIY Ventile Smock

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Finished at last!
I am now the proud owner of a Ventile smock and it cost me less than £70. I used an arctic windproof smock as the pattern and modified the hood and pockets to my preference, all in all a very rewarding excercise.
Neil1

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Looks good,
Where did you get the ventile from? Every where I've looked would run to far more than your total just for the fabric.
Cheers
David

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
That's a pretty impressive piece of kit!

Did you work from a pattern or something or ... well, are you just good at this! :-D

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Seconds from Talbot weaving (all I could find was a very slight fault in the dyeing - the address is somewhere in a posting on this forum). Pattern - an old Artic windproof smock.
I make all sorts of kit, its the only way to get the exact kit you want in the right colours.
Norrona rucksacks!! I made my own, I used an "H" frame from Karrimor, superb kit and only cost £50 to make (can post picks if you want).
Neil1

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I made my own DPM waterproof coat several years ago.
I used and army jacket as the pattern, made a replica from 4-5 meters of breathable fabric and put it in as a liner.
Not quite as technical as yours but it still worked OK. The only problem was when it got very wet it got VERY heavy :-? It also means, as the hand made bit is not on show, you don't have to be too good with a sewing machine - I'm definately not :oops:

Cheers

Mark

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Neil1 said:
Seconds from Talbot weaving (all I could find was a very slight fault in the dyeing - the address is somewhere in a posting on this forum). Pattern - an old Artic windproof smock.
Neil1

Ta,
Email sent and they seem to be really helpful, what grade ventile did you use and was 4m for a single or double layer?
Cheers
David

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
well done mate! :-D

i have in the past considered such a task but i too have not found suitable material.

my design is bsaed on the SAS 2WW snow/camo design(very rare! very expensive!)

but i would like a olive green one side and a khaki/sand the other to use as a basic camo for wildlife spotting throughout the year.

only problem is:

2 sided colouring is pretty much impossible for me to do.
if i use two layers it gets heavy
two layers = 2x material = 2x the cost! :shock:

i have considered using "cotton gaberdine" (same as M65 jacket material) but it ain't as good as ventile!

with cotton gaberdine i would end up with a two layered BDU jacket with a hood, which isn't really what i'm after!

any ideas? :?:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I used L34 Ventile, single layer except for the hood, shoulders and elbows. The pockets also add protection to the front.
I chose the arctic smock because its the most comfortable outer I have ever used.
To make it bombproof I use a Dutch Army Goretex inner jacket (£12) if the weather gets bad.
I altered the hood design from the original pattern, putting a short wired peak on and having "captured" drawcords that won't whip you in the eye when its windy.
Neil1

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I picked up one of the gaberdine smocks at a show this morning.
Not an issue item but one of the "private purchase" numbers.
Good kit, enough pockets that one could seriously consider a summer night out with only the contents of the pockets...

Downside is it's DPM so you do feel a touch 'Rambo' when getting from the car to where ever.

I couldn't afford it of course....But not eating for a week will probably be good for me anyway.

Nick in Belfast

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Is there any chance of posting the pic again as im having trouble showing it. Is the link still working?
Sorry to ask but I would really like to see the end result :roll:
Cheers.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
SquirrelBoy said:
Is there any chance of posting the pic again as im having trouble showing it. Is the link still working?
Sorry to ask but I would really like to see the end result :roll:
Cheers.
Link working fine for me 10:55 Sunday morning
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE