DIY Underquilt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
made this underquilt and took it for it's first night recently, lovely and warm!
made it out of ripstop pertex so it's waterproof and wanted to use a synthetic insulation for the reasons that it will last for years longer than down.
I bought some Primaloft One, supposedly one of the best synthetics on the market, used by berghaus, helly Hansen and north face. had to order from Germany though as I couldn't find a uk supplier.
synthetic is supposed to not pack down as small as down but this stuff is amazing! full length UQ with shock cord etc still attached compresses down to a ball about 8 inches in diameter!
also using synthetic means the construction is so much easier, I simply made an envelope out of the pertex by sewing three edges together, slid the insulation in (it comes in a roll with the insulation stuck to a sheet of scrim) I then sewed up the last end and ran a few lines of stitching along it's full length to stop the Primaloft moving around inside.
I then sewed grosgrain channels along both ends to allow shock cord to run through and gather the ends around your head and feet.
lastly I sewed loops along both sides to run the shock cord to keep the sides up and nicely around your shoulders, I clip the shock cord through the gathered end to the hammock lines and the side lines to the ridge line. works a treat, warm, light, packs small and should last years with no real maintenance.

5ec15bb7-b079-65db.jpg

5ec15bb7-b0a2-387c.jpg

5ec15bb7-b0b4-c6a9.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great work fella, bring on the cold weather eh

Any estimate as to how low you can go in it ? I've got a few pieces of insulated clothing (Rab Generator smock and vest) and that stuff really gets you warmed up on a cold night, packs down well too.

I like it, I like it a lot

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
Great work fella, bring on the cold weather eh

Any estimate as to how low you can go in it ? I've got a few pieces of insulated clothing (Rab Generator smock and vest) and that stuff really gets you warmed up on a cold night, packs down well too.

I like it, I like it a lot

I reckon -10c maybe -15c but hard to tell, I used it with a sleeping bag as a top quilt, I think with being zipped into a bag and this under, then I think I would be comfortable easily well into the minus figures. my next project is a proper top quilt made from the same stuff, should be rated to -10c and will pack up even smaller than this UQ thus saving me taking the sleeping bag, about a kilo saving and a fair bit of bulk.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Good job Gregor, I like the colour. I was wondering how long it would be before a brit made a synthetic UQ-no worries about keeping it dry.

Have to take point about synthetic lasting longer than down though-if it isnt mistreated, high quality goose down will easily outlive synthetic insulation.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Nice one! I'm considering making a pair of custom blankets (which I guess would be a lot like a top quit) There's something about putting something together yourself that really feels right.

How much insulation have you got in there? Oh and thanks for the link Teepee!

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
Nice one! I'm considering making a pair of custom blankets (which I guess would be a lot like a top quit) There's something about putting something together yourself that really feels right.

How much insulation have you got in there? Oh and thanks for the link Teepee!

I bought the 200g stuff and got 2 metres of it, it. comes in a roll that's 1.5m wide, exactly the same as the pertex so no cutting needed.

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
I have made about half a dozen synthetic UQs. You need to make sure that you stablise the primaloft. This can be done with a quilting stitch every 6 inches or so. It also means that you dont have to sew the full length of the UQ. This is really important for full length UQs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE