DIY Tripod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rickety-root

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2006
leicester
I'd seen these for sale on various American websites and thought I'd have a go at making my own. Not really rocket-science, but i was pleased with the results and it really works.

I got three lengths of B&Q's finest steel tube and three steel eyes with fitted nuts. After a little time working at it with a hammer, I managed to get the nuts to fit snugly into the tubing, and then turned over the top of the tube so the nuts couldn't fall out.
IMGP0960.jpg

I opened one of the steel eyes and treaded the other two onto it, closing it afterward. I threaded the eyelets into the nuts in the ends of the three tubes and, hey presto, a simple, sturdy, solid tripod that folds away and takes up little room - ideal for camping or canoeing.
IMGP0815.jpg

I tried it out when I helped with a youth camp and managed to cook a huge pot of hare stew (though this is not it, this is onions cooking for burgers). We all tried the hare and agreed that it smelt and tasted like wet dog - an aquired taste perhaps.
IMGP0840.jpg

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
here's my effort -

on the last photo, you can see where i drilled through one of the legs and added a long machine screw to hook the loose end of the chain onto. i might add a couple more for hanging utensils on maybe :dunno:
thanks for the idea rickety!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE