DIY Tarp Kit for 12.99

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I wonder how good the material actually is?
Looking around the site I would be tempted to buy the item separately the material is 60 inches (150cm) wide and sold by the metre.
Personally unless you are confident with sewing webbing to the material I would be tempted to use the snap eylets which I have used in the past.
Only other comment is the material is water resistant not waterproof so it may be worth treating it unless you only want it for fair weather use.

Nice site though and tempted to put an order in.

Tarp wise though I have a cheap store near me called In-Excess they sell the old plastic weave type tarps for only a few pounds in various sizes these have lasted me years even with the abuse of scout camps. As the scouts have small controlled fires for cooking we have even used them at high level to protect the fire from any rain (scouts keeping a fire lit in another matter lol) http://www.in-excess.com/ They constantly change stock so their website only lists stores but the tarp is a regular item but sells out very fast.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I'd say go for it Quietone! I use ripstop for my tarps, and polyester webbing for the tie-outs. Tarps are a piece of cake on a sewing machine (I wouldn't contemplate doing one by hand!!), and one this size would take you between 1-3 hours depending upon your expertise with a sewing machine. I 'd recommend getting some extra fabric (ripstop or woven nylon) to reinforce the tie-outs, but aside from that you're good to go.

Check out the DIY section on the hammock forums, there's a wealth of information over there. Good luck!! :)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Yep go do it, always nice to make stuff yourself, I have used fabric n stuff occasionally pretty good value, nice to deal with etc. I'm sure if you contacted them with an idea of what you want to do they'll adjust the lengths of material or give you plane colour etc [or you could just look through the website and by the stuff you'd need individually, that may even be cheaper??? Always shop around :)]

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I say go for it aswell :)

I've made a few tarps now with a lot of the material coming from these good people.

The only point of concern is the ballpoint needle-its wrong in my eyes end experience and will struggle to sew the webbing. Ideally, you want a supersharp needle like a microtex, but a universal will do too.

+1 on what silvehill says, I'd reinforce the tie outs. Do a good job and it'll take 70mph winds.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Sound advice lads, thanks.

I did want to have a go at fashioning something akin to the Ogee concept tarp.

http://gargoylegear.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1609984#

I don't mind getting it wrong the first time, I'd prefer to get it right first off, but at that price for material it wont attract the attention of the better half. :)

I guess reinforced webbing would be stronger and last longer than eyelets, but is there a way to strengthen the eyelet route, something like a simple fold over, or additional piece of material added ? My head tells me to stay away from eyelets, but then again I wouldn't set it the same as I would in a sheltered wood anyway.

Sorry for going over old rope, I'm new to hammocking, as I usually use my trusty Ultimate Equipment hobo when out and about. But I'm thinking of retiring it while its still intact, as I recently took advantage of the good price of the laser comp.. sniff sniff, I feel all emotional.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE