DIY Sleeping Bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Hi! I was reading the other thread about sleeping bags and I was wondering if anyone either made their own sleeping bag or uses something other than a conventional bag?

I've got a couple of thick wool blankets and was wondering how much a wool blanket liner would improve a cheap end of season supermarket sleeping bag.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've got a couple of thick wool blankets and was wondering how much a wool blanket liner would improve a cheap end of season supermarket sleeping bag.

I think *burning* would improve most supermarket sleeping bags. I've slept in one (even in fewwzing weather, but I was a hardier man at age 12 than I am today. Not that I recall that much *sleep*, not on top of a deflated air mattress (no room to inflate it).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to make and sell pile fibre sleeping bags - cheap, warm, cozy but bulky!
A blanket liner would improve a cheapo bag no end!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have a WW2 wool sleeping bag which is just about the same thing as a blanket liner and it works well. The wool is of the thickness of your typical blanket and it is reasonably warm on its own and ideal for slipping inside another bag.
Its a bit heavy for its warmth (1.7kg) but bombproof and you don't have to worry about it getting wet.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I find a fleece liner from Tesco can really make a difference to a sleeping bag.They're cheap and pretty compact and light too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE