DIY Ration Pack conundrum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That was a good post. I think Thoreau said that after man discovered fire, he discovered the need to sit by it. Dogs follow our example, I'm told.

The Canadian training manual I referred to said to have the main meal in the middle of the day, as a person might be too tired to eat at the end of the day or to tired to digest it (that's what it said). I can understand the reasoning but I still prefer the main meal for an overnighter to be the evening meal, although that carries risks. The main risk I think of is when your schedule is thrown off for some reason, usually because of a late start, and you therefore arrive at your planned campsite rather late in the day and end up doing things after the sun goes down.

I like beans but what are "pulses?" At this point I should admit that I frequently end up eating and generally liking things I don't like (if you follow me). I'm not fond of those handy heat and eat pasta dishes at home (together with similiar dishes like rice) but the "just add hot water" to the bag pasta meal I one had was pretty good. And it was also on a trip when I set up camp in the dark.

Not within the topic but water can be most problematic on a trip, especially if you follow the ridges such as the Applachian Trail most follows, up and down, up and down. Other nearby trails can be hit or miss. The area I most often visit is very well watered on one side of the ridge but quite dry on the other side. And there are some hilltop peaks where there is naturally no water to be had. And water is the heaviest thing you're probably going to carry.

Sorry pulses are just another name for types of beans (Legumes) that grow within a pod WIKILINK. Though generally disavowed I still like the old theory of eating the grains and beans that occur naturally at the latitude your from as your ancestors adapted to them. Beans and grains are very filling and generally fairly slow release in nature nutritionally - so keeping you going. Indeed some legumes like field peas were eaten to suppress appetite in hard times. Can make you a bit "gassy" but let the wind run free, where-ever ye may be!
Not a fan of convenience food per say, but that doesn't mean you have to eat pre-packed trash, just tailor the food to conditions and fuel limitations and that makes it convenient. Indeed quite a few folk have said that my mate Belzeebob and I eat better in the field than they do in the house.
There's a great book called Moveable Feasts LINK that's filled with some of the ideas that took years of planning and failures that my mates and I made and throws them out of the window so you don't have to make them, really good for backpackers and outdoors folk in general.
Food and fire are a great moral booster when outdoors. Indeed especially on winter trips when the nights are longer I used to always eat with chopsticks as it took slightly longer to make the meal more enjoyable. (Can eat just as fast these days!)
With a bit of forethought, kit and knowhow there's not a lot you can't cook outdoors as indoors. (Though Dutchovens, Cobbs and the likes are maybe a bit of a lug for the lightweight alpinist!)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sorry GB missed it, read the thread on my phone on the way home from the local temple of pulses, Tesco.

Always been the year of the pulses with us, grew up with them and have always used them...got the urge for neck of lamb stewed with leeks, carrots, garlic and peal barley now served with green/spring cabbage and 'potch' (mashed spuds, swede and butter) :) Thats tomorrows dinner sorted then.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE