DIY quilt - re-use primaloft?

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
There's been a few threads with people making over and under quilts lately so I gave it some consideration and I'm going to give it go. Question: I'm going to pick up some material and down from a link I saw in another thread but I've got an old 3 season vango primaloft bag. Would I be able to gut it and use the insulation? If I can I'll do a down / prima mix to keep costs down.

What do you guys think? Am I just being tight? (I'll be making 2)

Here's something I found which some might find interesting if they're considering it too...
http://www.gassebol.se/quilt_down.htm

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A 3 season bag should yield enough insulation to make a toasty UQ and will be easier than down for your first.

Why not just mod your existing bag? all it will cost is thread and time and you wont have to buy the fabric either. Lots of stuff on HF about modding bags to UQ's too ;)

If you want a down UQ, go the whole hog and do it properly mate and use pure down. Its not that hard, just time consuming.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You could cut it to shape, sew the edges closed again, and then sew grosgrain all round the outside to tidy it up, using the channel that sewing the grosgrain on has created to thread the shock cord through. Should be quite quick to do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE