Diy question: plaster board

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I am diy senseless. I want to put some screws up on my wall but I don't know how. The outer layer is thin plaster board, then a small airgap then breezeblocks. Drawing tacs just tear through. I borrowed my friends drill but there isn't the right tip to drill concrete.

They're not to bear any weight (it's for a twine wall mandala) so in looking for an alternate solution - could I maybe fill the holes with epoxy and that'd give a small screw enough purchase to stay put?

I did come up with an alternative solution to putting up a shelf - I used a couple of bushcrafty knots and some cord to hang the shelf off existing screw plugs on the wall.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
I'm a dry liner so work with this all day long, the way your wall is made up is from what you describe has been dabbed, this mean the boards are stuck to the wall with an adhesive similar to plaster, it's applied in spots around the wall, you would have to drill through into the brick behind and use raw plugs or similar if heavy weight is involved, if not go for the self drill ones that are basically a really wide screw that screws into the board, this is easily done by hand, you then screw a small screw into that, like these http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=89&Itemid=34
hope this helps.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Most of the fixing types for plasterboard are in Jason's link, and by the sound of it you'll be able to do what you need with one of them.

You won't need the drill, but in case you do find yourself needing to drill into blocks, you're looking for a masonry drill. They have a very hard tip which you can generally see quite easily. Plasterboard is very soft so rarely will you need a drill for it. It will take a picture hook with a masonry nail quite well but if there's an air space behind it, don't hit it hard with a hammer or you'll probably make a great big dent in it!

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
all the above are great for a stud wall but if it's dot and dab, then the gap behind the plasterboard is only going to be 5mm max.

depending on what needs to be hung and the weight, and as Highbinder doesn't have a drill or bit, i would suggest a simple masonry nail, 1 1/2 long driven straight through the plasterboard into the block. ( be careful hammering the nail in so as not to damage the plasterboard )

failing that, self adhesive sticky hooks are available from most DIY stores

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Not sure what the Spanish equivalent to B&Q would be but these stores usually sell packets of fixings that include the required drill bit. Those packets usually have a fairly clear diagram of what the fixing is for on the back, so look for one that will put itself at least 50 mm into the brickwork and yet still extend out enough to clear the plasterboard.

If this is for something you want to hang of the wall consider using those fixing bolts to attach a piece of timber (prepared, varnished or painted in advance) to the wall, then attach your hooks to the timber.

Hope this helps.

:)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Thanks chaps. It's not load bearing at all. Previously I used drawing tacs (those minature nails) but the outer board crumbles easily.

Stick on hooks may work.Id like to set the new one over the same spot, which would mean using holes already there. I shall have to go down go a hardware shop.

It's nice to have a bit of length sticking out from the wall, it gives you more space to work with when wrapping the twine. Im going to try a 24 point gods eye pattern this time so I'd need about 2-3cm of length.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
maybe use some no nails glue to stick some hooks to hang things off?

no nails glue will work for heavy stuff too (apparently)

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
got to agree with you GS ( thats the white book isn't it ? )

i think the problem would be.........." if it's done properly " ( sorry, don't know how to do the quote thing in blue box :( ) very hard to police once the boards up and i would suggest in a residential dwelling in Spain it's probably nearer 5mm mate :) cheap as chips and quicker :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
got to agree with you GS ( thats the white book isn't it ? )

i think the problem would be.........." if it's done properly " ( sorry, don't know how to do the quote thing in blue box :( ) very hard to police once the boards up and i would suggest in a residential dwelling in Spain it's probably nearer 5mm mate :) cheap as chips and quicker :)

hehe if you want to quote someone in the blue box then click the 'reply with quote' option under their comment and it'll show up in your reply!

have a little play around with the functions, it helped me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE