DIY parabolic?!? Anybody made one...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

huffhuff

Forager
Sep 20, 2010
Hitchin, Hertfordshire
Hiya,

I just wanted to know if anybody has found a DIY parabolic mirror/reflector that actually works. I am truely amazed at the pure power that a few inches of mirror can harness from the sun (everybody has seen them melt rock and steel right?)

Ideally i'd like something along the solar spark lighter (or bigger), but made from something readily available (ie. not £15 from uncle Ray - they are only $5 in the States)! I have tried lamp reflectors etc. but with not a great deal of joy.

Cheers

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Would the reflector from an old torch be what you want. I have used one to ignite a twig pushed through where the bulb went.

huffhuff

Forager
Sep 20, 2010
Hitchin, Hertfordshire
I did try that in the bright sun yesterday (with tweezers through the hole) but it didn't work. Although, it was quite a small torch reflector oojamaflip though. I need one of those big old fashion ones maybe.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...just wanted to know if anybody has found a DIY parabolic mirror/reflector that actually works. I am truely amazed at the pure power that a few inches of mirror can harness from the sun...

Yes, something that can supply 1kW per square metre from 93 million miles away is pretty amazing. :)

I haven't used reflectors to make fire but I've used Fresnel lenses. They're easier to pack. :)

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.magnifyingglasses.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Page___Sheet_Magnifiers_8.html
http://www.fresneloptic.com/html_en/fresnellens.htm

Scroll down to the 'Sheet Magnifier', size 10¾" x 8¼" for one a little bit bigger (and a lot less yellow with age) than mine. My personal best to make fire with mine is about 5 seconds. It took almost 15 seconds this afternoon, not bad sunshine for October in Britain. :)

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Used the bottom of coke cans (polished up, on the bottom of my coke can stove) quite often, and it works very well. You can even make them out in the field if necessary, by using toothpaste or chocolate and silver foil (i.e. the foil that the choc was wrapped in)).

Rounded ice or water in a poly bag will also focus the sun's rays, but I have found the coke can method the easiest to use. The ice was the hardest, because although I could shape it into a sphere, the fact it was melting in my hand always seems to transfer to my tinder just at the worst moment lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE