DIY Night Vision builds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
So I've gone back to my Viper scope! Got it precariously balanced on the window sill along with the T20 torch...

d06e2fe3ac6c4f9852f1c729d556db91_zpstlrjxpgw.jpg

This is the view of a TV aerial at 64 yards on 10x mag and the torch on narrow beam, not the best thing to view but gives an idea... Edit: didn't have the contrast up so could have been clearer!

bd59422e7a39bd38b0cd6daa782a9d4a_zpslk8ocuh5.jpg

Neighbours conservatory roof at 46 yards...

5272214b33769e0436b58cd3c9800265_zpsgkpzifnr.jpg

Last edited:

samobaggins

On a new journey
Mar 26, 2014
Bicester
Tonight's testing saw me with a new scope that arrived from JSR this afternoon, a cheap SMK 4x32 compact that I thought would make a nice short rig. Turns out to get any sort of focus I had to use 4 coupler sections and the only lens that worked was the 16mm. It would have worked but was becoming a faf and the MTC Viper was better.

c6c4e5d6fdbfe49c27bf96a7f42e986c_zpsrhsyd3au.jpg

One thing I can say is that little scope is pretty tough! I managed to drop it from out of an upstairs window and it bounced off the patio and remained ok!!

You will struggle using a none AO or side focus scope. The camera is normally about 50mm-ish from the eye piece.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Cool stuff goodjob I like all this stuff although never get hands on with it so I'm interested in how this all pans out and what you end up with, keep it coming

Thanks Tony, I normally end up with lots of money spent, parts that don't work and broken bits n bobs all over the place. This project is going ok so far and the only broken item is the camcorder I took to bits and the new scope with a nice dent in the end!!

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I've been waiting on some bits to arrive and I've managed to do a bit more to the build. First was to source a box to house everything in. Then I dismantled my CCTV illuminators and fitted them to the box, a dab of black silicone will waterproof it up later..

e26f6c473beaaa38c10b658039b71584_zpskjpiviki.jpg

7601ec233859d76b39f82cc14c16de30_zps7iurxh9q.jpg

One of the colimators has decided to hide itself in the garage but I will track it down tomorrow! The 12 volt LIPO battery fits into this box too but when I've got it all working I will have to take some of the plugs off the wires and hard solder together as I can't get the lid to easily shut at the mo!

I cut out a hole to fit the screen in the lid of the box and will seal with some silicone later...

11f8f55a8d641bbea7c8f48095cfc94a_zpszwwbep5p.jpg

I just need to figure out how I'm going to get the 12volt supply and video wires to the camera which is a separate piece, also the battery charging port, master on off switch and rat tail illuminator needs sorting.

The view at 25 yards to the back of me garden is stunning, crisp and clear, those 2 illuminators give a really clean flood! I did leave space for a T20 torch head to be mounted in between the other lights for longer ranges but I think it won't be needed for a sub 12 airgun? Plus with them being 12 v everything runs off the one battery!

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2016
yorkshire
I purchased an IR illuminator from this website, they are designed for CCTV use but they do a bullet style IR lamp which houses the workings in a compact tube housing. These can support up to 150 metre night vision in complete darkness, as long as your lens is IR sensitive they should do the job. They do a 940nM wavelength version which is "trueblack" i.e. no IR glow, or they do a standard light which supports 850nM but the LED's do glow red with these. Because of the compact nature of the bullet lamp it would be easier to incorporate the components in to an existing scope or strap to the side in a shotgun style.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE