DIY match/tinder tube! + Pic's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
*UPDATED* 7/10/11 While I was working on some projects today I got round to recycling some empty CO2 capsules and having plenty of them in my loft/shooting range it seemed like a good idea to try and make things from them.

I used a dremel to cut the top end off and filed the inside of the cut out so it was smooth.

After a little whittling to make a cork/plug and a small rub of wax on the top to stop moisture soaking down the grain of the wood it was done!

It can hold quite a few matches, striker pad and cotton or any other materials inside to help start your fire and it got recycled!

And for some pictures..

Picture009.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture012.jpg

I think that's a good result :D

I'm gona think of a few more things I can do with these spent capsules as they are actually quite thick and tough!

Thanks for looking dudes :eek:

*update!

Figured I'd give another idea ago as I had some free time this evening!

I've had a light my fire flint rod for many years now and it's seen better days and lit many fires so it was the heart of my new design and having a new one laying around to replace the old one as it was in my cold steel bushman handle!

DSCF1311.jpg

out with a saw and it looked like this..

DSCF1312.jpg

then I whittled it to shape for a snug fit as it was going to be the plug of the container when turned in on itself, I also put in a thick staple on the end and some cord so I could pull it out when needed (also done this to the first design).

DSCF1314.jpg

even with the rod on the inside it can hold quite a few bits like rolled up cotton wool, tissue and even a striker! more than I expected.

DSCF1315.jpg

and here are the two together..

DSCF1316.jpg

I'll try a few more ideas sometime as it's good fun, I hope this has inspired some to recycle odd bits like this!

thanks for looking :)

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
haha I think we have some good ideas coming!

dispensers of herbs, spices and powders is deffinately one I'll try.

I've got an idea in my head atm but not sure how it'll turn out so I'll keep it hush hush for now ;)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
maybe it might make a usefull pod to hold fishing line/hooks for a hobo rod?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
It's worth a try! would be like one of those old meth bunson burners that the science kits supplied

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
you use them as toggles for your whoopie slings, make a nice whistle as long as you don't cut the tip of them, try make a mini home made torch, little sewing kit with different size needle for leather making stuffs, or just send them to me, cheers the interceptor boy.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
That looks pretty cool, might try something like that now theres a few pointers!

Still got one more idea but it'll probably end up looking like something from prison.. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE