DIY crow decoys

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Looking through the decoy bag I noticed some old full body wood pigeon decoys in the bottom, in desperate need of a lick of paint, then I realised that I didn't have any full body crows, so decided to try and mod the pigeons into crows! I cut the rough shape of a crows beak from 1/4 ply, cut into the full body down the center of the existing beak, screwed and glued into place and painted with blackboard paint. They might be a bit rough but they pull the crows in! And saved throwing away deeks because I hate doing that.

20150423_104618_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Mick: I have a half dozen crow/Raven plywood decoys that I set out with the Canada Goose (44) decoys.
We call them "confidence decoys." If the crows and Raverns are around the perimeter of the set, then everything is OK = no threats.
The geese come in a lot slower and lower, we step out from under the spruce and pound them as they go by.
Benelli Nova 3.5" x 1.5oz steelBBB = if it flies, it dies.
Kill a 25lb Canada coming in at 45mph, you have a projectile with no steering control at all.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Mick: I have a half dozen crow/Raven plywood decoys that I set out with the Canada Goose (44) decoys.
We call them "confidence decoys." If the crows and Raverns are around the perimeter of the set, then everything is OK = no threats.
The geese come in a lot slower and lower, we step out from under the spruce and pound them as they go by.
Benelli Nova 3.5" x 1.5oz steelBBB = if it flies, it dies.
Kill a 25lb Canada coming in at 45mph, you have a projectile with no steering control at all.

I often mix them into my wood pigeon pattern to similar effect. Never seen it down for wildfowl though. 1.5 of BBB is a serious load mind you! Oh how I miss lead shot over water and wildfowl. It had this marvellous thing steel doesn't, kinetic energy

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
d9b1b8784003a4ee89a41402891924df.jpg
[/IMG]

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Tried that once before, they shine a bit too much and just look wrong in the profile even from a distance look like black skems

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The lead shot ban for migratory waterfowl shooting began here in BC some 10-15 yrs ago.
Far as I can tell, it now covers all of North America. Steel is cheaper than the other
non-toxic loads (bismuth, tungsten, Hevi-shot.) My crows are oversize plywood with
black acrylic house paint.

I'm field shooting, not over water. The dekes are 60m out from my spruce tree thicket hide
so they circle for a look always in the wrong direction. I take 3 steps out from under the trees and
let the air out of them as they go by.

Our daily bag limit is 5 Canadas, I made an experienced guess that 8-10 shots with the Benelli Nova
and goose loads was about all my shoulder can take in a day!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
The lead shot ban for migratory waterfowl shooting began here in BC some 10-15 yrs ago.
Far as I can tell, it now covers all of North America. Steel is cheaper than the other
non-toxic loads (bismuth, tungsten, Hevi-shot.) My crows are oversize plywood with
black acrylic house paint.

I'm field shooting, not over water. The dekes are 60m out from my spruce tree thicket hide
so they circle for a look always in the wrong direction. I take 3 steps out from under the trees and
let the air out of them as they go by.

Our daily bag limit is 5 Canadas, I made an experienced guess that 8-10 shots with the Benelli Nova
and goose loads was about all my shoulder can take in a day!

We aren't allowed to use lead over water or on any wildfowl. Bismuth is the best imo but so expensive. And only 1 of my guns is proofed for steel and 3.5' (Beretta A303) none of my nice English game guns would appreciate steel!

The Beretta is a 3 shot semi but I'm a side by side fan ideally hammer guns. On an sgc im restricted to 3 shots

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd have to shoot a lot of steel to create any shotgun barrel damage.
While most gas autos over here have a 5 shot capacity, they are all supposed to be plugged for 3 max.
I suffered from SAS (Shotgun Aquisition Syndrome) but I beat it and now have just two , a s/s 20 and an o/u 12, both Russian.
Clays and grouse are about all that interests me any more.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I'd have to shoot a lot of steel to create any shotgun barrel damage.
While most gas autos over here have a 5 shot capacity, they are all supposed to be plugged for 3 max.
I suffered from SAS (Shotgun Aquisition Syndrome) but I beat it and now have just two , a s/s 20 and an o/u 12, both Russian.
Clays and grouse are about all that interests me any more.

Bolt action .410, sbs 28g hammer gun, sbs 20g, 2 o/u 12g, 1 auto 12 and a sbs12 hammer gun. All English save for the Beretta auto. I suffer from SAS too lol. I'm more pigeons and crows but like to take duck and pheasant in season

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE