DIY Beer Keg Stove ... advice welcome

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Hello all,

I have procured two empty beer kegs (unused) and have the intention of turning at least one into a stove (potentially for inside my polish poncho / laavu thingy).

The kegs look like this:

P3210124.jpg

P3210125.jpg

I intend to basically cut out a door in the main body of the keg using a dremel tool and cutting disc, then cut a hole in the top to remove the white plastic widgit (probably using recycled car exhaust or similar as a chimney) and as there is a red plastic pouring mechanism at the bottom of the keg I guess I will have to cut this out and use the hole as a means of increasing the air flow.

I think I will keep the door higher up the keg so that i can use sand or similar to insulate the base.

Here is my rough plan so far:

P3210124b.jpg

Do you have any design tips / suggestions??

Thank you, Tim

beeperboy

Mar 16, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Hi Tim,
I'm a new member to this forum. I love building wood burning stoves too. I've made several over the years, and here is my latest. It is also the smallest and lightest. It was originally a 20 liter oil pail. It keeps my campsite toasty warm, without the annoying smoke issues. It also uses 1/2 the wood of an open fire the same size. Of course it is much too heavy for backpacking, but I thought it might give you some ideas.

stove1.jpg

stove2.jpg

stove3.jpg

I have a couple of those beer kegs kicking around my basement, and I've been toying with the idea of making a small tent heater stove out of them too. The beer kegs we get here are 5 liters. Yours looks slightly larger.

I found another on-line builder who used 0.004" stainless steel shim stock as a roll up chimney.

BB

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
turn it upside down and use the red hole for your chimney -side exit - then you can put a pan or kettle on the flat top to cook on ??? :)

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Thanks for the ideas already!!

Beeperboy - that is a great stove you have there! thank you for the pics. My mini kegs are about 9 pints, which cant be far off 5 litres. I dont know why but I was hoping to keep the stove upright (more space around it perhaps) but having said that I am having real issues with my 40gall oil drum fire (in progress) at the moment, as the smoke refuses to travel up the chimney!!

Nuggets - that is an excellent idea ... as long as the sand insulation prevents the whit plastic bit melting when its underneath the fire

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Thanks for the ideas already!!

Beeperboy - that is a great stove you have there! thank you for the pics. My mini kegs are about 9 pints, which cant be far off 5 litres. I dont know why but I was hoping to keep the stove upright (more space around it perhaps) but having said that I am having real issues with my 40gall oil drum fire (in progress) at the moment, as the smoke refuses to travel up the chimney!!

Nuggets - that is an excellent idea ... as long as the sand insulation prevents the whit plastic bit melting when its underneath the fire

you could remove it - that should stop it from melting !!:rolleyes::D:D:D

beeperboy

Mar 16, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
I dont know why but I was hoping to keep the stove upright (more space around it perhaps)

I like nuggets idea of using the red spout as the chimney hole, and then you could cook on the flat top. I can't cook on the horizontal version I made, but I use a gas stove for cooking. I was going to make a flat spot on the top for brewing coffee, but I haven't got around to it yet.

I am having real issues with my 40gall oil drum fire (in progress) at the moment, as the smoke refuses to travel up the chimney!!

You might need to add a smoke baffle to get the chimney to draw properly. A Google search should lend you some good advice.

BB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE