Dissatisfied with my pumpkin

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I got one for halloween with the eventual intention of turning it into chutney.

but now, a week later, its still hard.

I guess they are bred for suitability as a lantern and not eaters, eh?

or shall I put it though the spong and not worry?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The bit you eat.....The flesh under the rind, and not the seedy, stringy bit you take out

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
TBH I don't know - with some other squash, they need to ripen on the vine so you may be hosed

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, that would soften it.

Once its been in chutney a few months it wont matter, I expect.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you sugar it, like rhubarb, it'll start to pull the juices and then ferment.....once it does (not left to go rotten, I mean, ferment as in making booze) then you can add vinegar and spices and turn it into chutney.

On the other hand, you can just roast it, hard as it is, and it will cook. (mind and add a wipe of oil and keep it covered so that it softens as it cooks and doesn't just stick and dry out) You can breadcrumb some once it's cooked. Bit like green tomatoes fry well, kind of thing.
Works in stew like ratatoule too and can be boiled up and whizzed for soup. Still needs flavoured though.

Not 'ticulary fond of pumpkin and squash to be honest. Bit like marrow; looks good but just sommat big and bland. It definitely needs flavour added. Whether you roast that in or spice, season or sugar that in, it needs something.

If it's not 'that' hard it'll cook like butternut squash.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE