Dispatching rabbit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
The quickest, safest (for you) and best method of a quick dispatch is one that I developed (well that's to say, I've never seen anyone else describe or use it, other than the people I have shown).

I have to admit that this method was developed not only for a quick dispatch but also a silent dispatch.
It will work if the rabbit has just bolted from a warren (ferreting) or wounded (gun shot) or diseased etc.

With the rabbit in front of you, grab the two back legs (right hand), quickly step on the head with the arch of your right foot, not stepping hard! this is simply to hold the rabbits head on the ground, pull with your right hand, whilst applying pressure with your right foot. You'll feel the neck break. This method is fast and 100% effective. The idea is NOT to crush the skull, simply to hold the head on the ground.

The result is a perfect text book broken neck! leaving the rabbit intact and clean. It will not alert other rabbits as it is fast and silent. You will not risk a scratching, or a bite from the rabbit if you use this method.

John

That sounds like a good way to do it, not that i know much about dispatching rabbits. All this is good to know though.
leon

K

Karr

The quickest, safest (for you) and best method of a quick dispatch is one that I developed (well that's to say, I've never seen anyone else describe or use it, other than the people I have shown).

I have to admit that this method was developed not only for a quick dispatch but also a silent dispatch.
It will work if the rabbit has just bolted from a warren (ferreting) or wounded (gun shot) or diseased etc.

With the rabbit in front of you, grab the two back legs (right hand), quickly step on the head with the arch of your right foot, not stepping hard! this is simply to hold the rabbits head on the ground, pull with your right hand, whilst applying pressure with your right foot. You'll feel the neck break. This method is fast and 100% effective. The idea is NOT to crush the skull, simply to hold the head on the ground.

The result is a perfect text book broken neck! leaving the rabbit intact and clean. It will not alert other rabbits as it is fast and silent. You will not risk a scratching, or a bite from the rabbit if you use this method.

John

My mate prefers that method as well. And we often advise many of the local youngster to adopt it. Not everyone can make a clean kill with a hand held neck pull, lack of strength/technique ect.
I have seen some appauling attempts with the neck pull. On rare occasions Coney getting back to their feet, with a snapped neck and legging it. But, i believe everyone should go with the method they feel most comfortable with. This will then ensure, a clean fast humane kill.

Regards Sparrow.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
That sounds like a good way to do it, not that i know much about dispatching rabbits. All this is good to know though.
leon

I've used this method for about 20 years and it's the only method I would suggest or recommend. I would pay to watch some of the other methods that I have been suggested in the thread, I know for a fact that the last thing anyone wants to do is become too intimate with a wounded or sick rodent.
Which ever method you use, make sure it is safe and swift. I have seen people bash rabbits heads in with their feet, rocks, sticks and even shoot them with a shotgun not a foot away. All of which makes a terrible mess and simply due to ignorance.

John

D

dave038

just a quick one.
can these ways be used with squirrels?
just may have a chance soon to shoot for them but would like any advice on any other means of dispaching if i do make an error of not making a clean shot.
any tips or comments greatly appreciated!
Thanks

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
" Originally Posted by Hunter_zero View Post

John"

That's how I've been taught, and to be honest I wouldn't be too keen getting my little pinkies to near any animals mouth!!

Nick93

Dec 27, 2009
Devon, England
If you are shooting them with an air rifle would a second point blank shot to the head be an effective method of killing them quickly? Double-tap!!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
If you are shooting them with an air rifle would a second point blank shot to the head be an effective method of killing them quickly? Double-tap!!

No, the quickest way to avoid a pellet or bullet is to collapse as if hit by same.

Double taps are for close quarter engagements, ensuring incapacitation.

Last edited:

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
I normally hold the rabbit by the rear legs in my left hand and then “karate” chops it at the back of the skull, quick and affective. I use to use the “chinning” method but found it slower the then the other one.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
On the farm we used to put down small animals using a horse rasp - which is roughly 50mmx6mmx600mm. A really decent blow to the nape of the neck would occasionally take the head clean off. Never got on with the neck-pulling business myself.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
i agre with hunter, its the method ive used all my life and it does, to me at least seem the most humane. brian plummer prefered the chop to the back of the neck but i found this bruised the meat.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'd disagree with chopping them, it's far quicker to neck them and it requires less coordination.
Don't ask how because I don't know the full details but I did hear of one instance where someone managed to chop the rabbit in the teeth and split his hand all to hell.:confused:
The advantage with necking them is that you can feel the neck break.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I'd disagree with chopping them, it's far quicker to neck them and it requires less coordination.
Don't ask how because I don't know the full details but I did hear of one instance where someone managed to chop the rabbit in the teeth and split his hand all to hell.:confused:
The advantage with necking them is that you can feel the neck break.

My concern is with the rabbit not my hand. A chop to back of the neck is quick, & even if the rabbit is still alive after the first chop it is so concussed it doesn't feel the second.blow. Breaking it's neck by twisting & pulling is not only cruel,( even when done by an expert), but slow. A rabbit ( or any animal come to that, including us) can continue to live with a ruptured neck. Try to imagine how YOU would prefer to be dispatched, a smack to the back of your head or someone squeezing & twisting & pulling your head until they heard your neck vertebrae snap......I've made my choice.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'd rather be hung by the neck (which is what necking is akin to if done properly) rather than have my head stoved in. :)
It's not a slow process IMO it's quick.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
It is known as a priest because, in earlier times, priests would carry a club into battle. The priests were not combatants but their role was to tend the wounded.Part of that was to end the suffering of those too horrifically wounded to recover. Hence the club being used for a merciful despatch becoming known as a priest.

Red

they used maces (clubs) because priests were forbidden to spill blood so they gave you a nasty bash with one of them instead, several books make reference to warrior priests using them for this reason (on the Bayeux Tapestry there is a line reading "Hic Odo Eps (Episcopus) Baculu(m) Tenens Confortat Pueros", in English "Here Odo the Bishop holding a club strengthens the boys". Odo was William the Conqueror's half-brother)

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
My concern is with the rabbit not my hand. A chop to back of the neck is quick, & even if the rabbit is still alive after the first chop it is so concussed it doesn't feel the second.blow. Breaking it's neck by twisting & pulling is not only cruel,( even when done by an expert), but slow. A rabbit ( or any animal come to that, including us) can continue to live with a ruptured neck. Try to imagine how YOU would prefer to be dispatched, a smack to the back of your head or someone squeezing & twisting & pulling your head until they heard your neck vertebrae snap......I've made my choice.

rubbish 'karate chopping' is crude, ineffective and inhumane, you're more likely to just stun the rabbit than kill it. no mistakes with a stretched neck, grip the rabbit with both back legs in one hand, the head in the palm of the other with the 'o' of your thumb and first finger around the neck, then twist the head head backwards as you push down whilst pulling the back legs in the opposite direction. don't jerk but be strong never had any rabbits coming to after that, sounds complicated written down but its quick, simple and humane

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE