Disguising Camouflage ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
@Silverclaws2 This is desert DPM that was died using a mix of idle and idle poly. Its not too bad, may be a little ghost pattern. but its the best I have seen.

123493365_10157854279788412_3826070740212298873_n.jpg

123516195_10157854279773412_4725854931019948638_n.jpg

Cheers
Louis

That's rather excellent and that would do nicely, if I am forced to take that route, for ghosting is fine, less so the yellow/tan colour of UK DPM patterning, of which is really my bugbear as I don't do bright colours.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
It’s a pity you need long as I’ve got a standard green set in the loft.
I’d be interested to see how you get on with the dye if you go for it, got a few bits I’d like to be a bit less DPM.

Reactions: Silverclaws2

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
It’s a pity you need long as I’ve got a standard green set in the loft.
I’d be interested to see how you get on with the dye if you go for it, got a few bits I’d like to be a bit less DPM.

I have looked at the dye recommended on this thread to be at least pleased it exists to give hope where all there was before, was the consideration of the black marker pen and how useless that can be in high abrasion areas.

Reactions: Wildgoose

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Someone on here did a desert smock to a chocolate brown colour which was decent enough but it was polycotton, the gaitors are a gore tex material so the idye would be needed

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
The problem there is that the Idye Poly needs to cook on the stove top, Im not sure if a Gore Tex type fabric would cope with the prolonged heat that well.
Fair point, I did dye a poly pouch from green to black, the initial result was good but the dye soon washed out and stained anything it touched. I was hoping it was a washing machine type dye

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
The problem there is that the Idye Poly needs to cook on the stove top, Im not sure if a Gore Tex type fabric would cope with the prolonged heat that well.

If would appear reading around the web where my question is not an uncommon one, given Gore Tex recommend heat no higher than 40 Celsius, boil dyeing isn't recommended for it can lead to delamination of the PTFE membrane. As to what delaminated Gore-tex looks like I have no idea as I have not seen it but if that membrane breaks away internally without affecting both the inner and outer layers, I might give it a shot, as I have said breathability isn't that important to me, whereas stopping bits of Dartmoor bog getting into my boots is what I'm looking for.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can still dye them. Best to remove the waterproofing, and even though it's goretex there will be some, and then wash them in really, really hot water.
Get the dye bath hot, and then introduce the hot wet gaiters. Make sure that whatever dye bath you use is big enough to let the gaiters move easily in the liquid. (I use the biggest stock pots I can find, they come in sets, they're cheap and thin stainless steel with no sandwiched base. They're fine for liquid but no use for most cooking. I think mine cost somewhere around twenty quid, but on checking eBay, a set is now just under twenty eight pounds, and that's with delivery....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-4...594955?hash=item2809972fcb:g:LGsAAOSwKtlWomcU )

I know the dye is supposed to boil for ages, but I just turn the heat off, put the lid on, and just keep it sitting nice and hot. I stir it frequently and so far, it seems to have worked fine.

All dyes will look like they are running when first washed, but it's just the excess in the dye liquid. When you take the gaiters out, wash them in really hot water to remove that excess, and then rinse in several washes of cooler and cooler water. When it runs clear, you're done.

Be careful of splashes, the blasted stuff is hard to remove.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Tengu: we skinned the 20 lb bird and salted the hide to dryness. Wrapped in bacon for roasting.
Eventually, I gave the hide to a Mohawk Indian who needed feathers for art works.

I could hunt ostrich and Emu here but I've got no ambition. They don't taste worth shooting.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I can second Dylon on MTP but as above it doesn't impregnate the threads or fully get the buttons.

If you're after surplus gear I'd recommend finding the blue navy kit or the black police kit, it's all the same stuff and as it's a block colour they dyed result shouldn't look dappled.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I can second Dylon on MTP but as above it doesn't impregnate the threads or fully get the buttons.

If you're after surplus gear I'd recommend finding the blue navy kit or the black police kit, it's all the same stuff and as it's a block colour they dyed result shouldn't look dappled.

Does the Dylan give a decent cover or can you still see the pattern under?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE