discoveries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
It always amazes me how things are discovered as i mentioned on another thread what was someone thinking when they first milked a cow. Anyways i was reading essential bushcraft by mears and in the text was a bit about prepping fungus for use as tinder. The process amongst other steps involved boiling it for 24hrs...now how the hell did someone come to discover that, why did they boil it at all to accidentally discover it or was there method in it and why go to that length when birch bark and other materials require less prep?

anyone want to bring any more profound discoveries to the table to ponder over....

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I have a theory that a lot of these discoveries are accidents. "Oh hell, someone knocked the fungus into the hot water last night and now it's been boiled. We'll have to dry it out before we can use it now"

Sometime later... "Hey, this stuff is great! We should boil it next time as well".

That's probably how cooking was invented too.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
humans love to experiment and try new things simple rely. he/she that discovered it is the equivalent to our modern day scientists.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I agree there are so many mysteries. I take the view that some things were discovered by accident , others were developed and improved over time. If you look at the great leaps of the last thirty years in computers imagine what improvements were made in say a stone tool over a hundred years. Forging metal always astounds me. Who came up with that one and how?
However, a mate of mine would say its the aliens birt!

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
How did they know that splitting an atom would cause such a massive explosion? It aint like they did it accidentally in a lab. We'd have known about that one. :D From where did theinfo come that there was so much power in an atom? For without splitting one, it couldn't be known. Yet the first one they split, was in a bomb.

How did they know that splitting an atom would cause such a massive explosion? It aint like they did it accidentally in a lab. We'd have known about that one. :D From where did theinfo come that there was so much power in an atom? For without splitting one, it couldn't be known. Yet the first one they split, was in a bomb.

oh, but it could... actually splitting the atom only confirmed the theory.

i don't wonder upon how we came to catch fish with a baited hook&line, but i do wonder why we don't use the same to catch birds... (at least i never heard about?)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
But how could they possibly theorize how much power is contained in an atom? Its not like they had anything to go on as such, no previous experience of it.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
i don't wonder upon how we came to catch fish with a baited hook&line, but i do wonder why we don't use the same to catch birds... (at least i never heard about?)

That's a common survival method... I've seen it mentioned in several survival books

tie some pieces of bait to a thin string, the bird comes along and each bit of bait ingesting the thread as well. When it comes to the end it can't fly off due to the string it's swallowed

You can also use hooks or gorges as well.

It's just not mentioned that much because it's regarded as being cruel

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I've often wondered how the process of brain tanning came about. Was it some stroppy teenager taking dads prized hide, and decided to 'teach him a lesson' for having his yo yo taken away. Dunking the hide in a container with mashed up brains.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
For myself I'd like to know how man learnt that rubbing 2 sticks together for long enough would produce an ember that could be blown into flames... :dunno:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
It's said that necessity is the mother of all invention, but I'm less and less inclined to believe that. Certainly there are times when desperation is the mother of invention - a starving person will eat more or less anything once hungry is an obvious example leading to "Hey, lichen and leather isn't so terrible afterall and you can survive on it for a while".

So too, I think, is abundance. Too many apples = too much apple juice = storing the apple juice longer than normal = cider? Too many hides = "Hey the ones we stored in that pit which we then used as a latrine and didn't take them out for a year turned out ok eh?" = Leather?

Modern experimental science is far less about mixing unknown chemical A with unknown solution B and FAWOOOMPPPHHhhhhhhhh "Woohoo! Look at him fly!" than it is attempts to prove or disprove that which has already been theorised - I'm pretty sure the Manhattan Project can be termed both Modern and Experimental! :D

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Humans are lazy by nature, we will always try to make life a bit easier. In the beginning it was about getting as many calories with as little effort as possible...

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
people who had a 24hr kettle going deserved the discovery then who maintains boiling water for 24hrs into which said fungus may have fell into?

QUOTE=Harvestman;1179533]I have a theory that a lot of these discoveries are accidents. "Oh hell, someone knocked the fungus into the hot water last night and now it's been boiled. We'll have to dry it out before we can use it now"

Sometime later... "Hey, this stuff is great! We should boil it next time as well".

That's probably how cooking was invented too.[/QUOTE]

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
oh, but it could... actually splitting the atom only confirmed the theory.

They do. Fishing for birds is even easier though. You can set up a glue trap. Throw stones wrapped in food into the air... Lots of different ways to fish for birds. All cruel though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE