Disaster averted

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
On checking the cider barrels yesterday, one of them rang suspiciously. They should give a dull thud. On taking the bung out it was clear we had a leak...about a fifth had oozed out along a seam that had started to open. So about a month early we had to spring into action to save the remainder.

luckily we were prepared and had enough demi-johns to syphon off the contents...

DSCF2071copy.jpg

As you can imagine things got a little silly....

DSCF2078copy.jpg

Very pleased with the results...very quaffable...and certainly puts laughter in your heart...

The other barrel remains sound and will continue to improve...:beerchug:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Crikey that's a lot of cider, you are going to need a lot of good friends to help drink it. The colour looks lovely.

The worrying thing is...that's only half of it bottled...

Got a pork and cider day planned for later in the year...anyone who doesn't like pork and cider will go dry and hungry :D

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Wow now thats what I call home brewing!!! youll be having a few then!! Hope you enjoy.
I am about to have a go at some nettle beer just waiting for some gear to arrive.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Where is Balcombes Copse? I can put it in my Sat Nav if you have a post code and come give you a hand drinking! :D

I'm looking at giving cider making a go this year, I've already been promised three massive apple trees' worth of apples so need to knock up some heath robinson style mashing and pressing gear with Scruff and Addo. I've been perusing internet sites and sort of have a plan devised, it's just getting it knocked up and in action. Anyway, we have a bit of time before the apples are ready!

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I see you've wired the bungs down in the demijohns, so you anticipate further fermentation (to make it sparkling).

Surely demijohns aren't able to take much pressure!

Jim

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There's an airspace, it should be ok. If it was toppers and then bunged, there may have been a bigger issue. The glass in a demijohn is quite thick, I'd be surprised if they failed.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I see you've wired the bungs down in the demijohns, so you anticipate further fermentation (to make it sparkling).

Surely demijohns aren't able to take much pressure!

Jim

As Spamel says demi's are fairly substantial. There is a natural effervecence,, just enough to pop the corks, hence the wiring. Kept cool there shouldn't be too much secondary fermentation (it's strong enough without it).

Spamel, get an old car jack, or trailer jack, a couple of fence posts and your well on your way...:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE