disappointing breakfast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Indeed disapointing.... Had loads of mushrooms grow up in the lawn in the last few days, hmmm will have those for breakfast says I! Went out and picked a dozen this morning all excited like, thinking yes! free food again! (picked 6 1/2 lb of blackberries and 12lb of rowans yesterday) got then back in the kitchen and thought hmmm do a fianl check on ID first... Convinced they were horse mushrooms or possibly Macros. Turns out they are most probably yellow stainers so not worth the risk :( oh well better luck next time :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Unlucky Paul...
We have been fortunate to have a load of horse mushrooms growing around here. The slugs seem to like them too though..

Aug 6, 2007
Mendip Hills
I'm with you on this one - there's nothing like finding some lovely shrooms only to discover they are not edible. Found some weeping boletes and birch boletes up here on the Mendips the other day, but when I fried them up but they had too many maggots in them. Very dissapointed!

chelks

Aug 7, 2008
Stafford
Lots of Parasol fungi out here at the moment. Ive been chompin on them all week - very easy to spot, once you have seen one, it would be hard to pick something nasty.

They are in the top 10 UK edible mushroom list in one book - well worth learning.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
I'm with you on this one - there's nothing like finding some lovely shrooms only to discover they are not edible. Found some weeping boletes and birch boletes up here on the Mendips the other day, but when I fried them up but they had too many maggots in them. Very dissapointed!

too many maggotts! whats an acceptable amount?? lol

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
With boletes if you slice them very thin and dry them, the maggots crawl out and die. Also before you pick them push down on centre of the cap, really crawlly ones are soft where as fresh is firmer. This also prevents the maggot bombs where the fungi disintergrates into a maggoty mess either in hands, basket or kitchen table.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE