Directional Hazel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Hello all.

In my local wood, I notice that Hazel nuts are ripening, but I dont understand why its mainly the trees at the Western - end, of the woods which come to fruit.

Why should this be so?

Seagull

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Jack's the person for this but I've observed such things before where things grow better or faster in one spot than another and I've always come to the conclusion that is is to do with getting more sun, less exposed to the elements.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Seagull said:
Hello all.

In my local wood, I notice that Hazel nuts are ripening, but I dont understand why its mainly the trees at the Western - end, of the woods which come to fruit.

Why should this be so?

Seagull

Seagull,

Nothing to worry about and this is quite common.

There can be many reasons for trees not baring fruit. Hazel is a unisexual tree. If the hazel doesn't throw out it catkins ( male) then the ovoids ( female) will not be pollinated. No pollination equals no fruit ( nuts).

This is first thing to look out for but you must first be in the woodlands to observe that the hazel has thrown out its catkins which is usually December-March. Next year you may notice that the hazels at the Eastern end fruit and not the ones in the West. Some hazel is completely sterile and will never fruit.

I always leave a strong stool uncoppiced in every block of hazel that I cut and the reason I leave it is simply so that there is a 'seed tree' left in the block, this will help with natural regeneration as nine times out of ten, you are felling it before it is old enough to fruit. But beware that it is now August and August belongs to the squirrel -the biggest threat to our ancient woodlands.

Jack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE